Chapter Ten

Emma was almost intimidated by the bundle of energy sitting across the table from her. Marissa wasn't anything like her son, and it wasn't a bad thing in her book. Not that there was anything wrong with Cody, she kinda liked his quiet calm personality. But his mother, was the sun rise to his serene moon glow. And if she were being honest with herself, she actually liked the attention the older woman was giving her. It made her miss her Grammy a lot in fact.

        "No wonder you feel so overwhelmed," Marissa gazed at the cards spread out on the table between them. "I see so much here. A new career will be beginning soon, that's very exciting. Huh, I see a new beginning in a new place, you're going to be moving." Marissa looked at her expectantly. "Back home to Nawlins' maybe?"

        "Maybe," Emma nodded. "I had been trying to figure out if I should move back into the house I grew up in, since my Gramps left it to me, which would mean I would need a new job. I can't not work. It's not how I was raised."

        "Having a job is good, but," Marissa smiled. "What about following your dream? What would that look like?"

        Emma smiled. No one had ever asked her that before. "My dream?" She looked down at her hands, twisting her fingers together. "Well, a home studio where I could paint and maybe have a gallery someday." She blushed and looked back at Marissa. "But I would feel silly doing that and not having a real job to earn a steady paycheck," she added, shocked she'd said something so personal to a stranger.

        "It's not silly at all Emma. I think it's a very beautiful thing. You want to create more joy in the world," Marissa assured her before she looked at the cards again. Her hands hovered over the colorful spread of cards, her forehead wrinkled with thought. "Oh dear, I see danger. Very close and real. A threat from your past that haunts your present," Marissa murmured, her eyes seeing something that Emma didn't. To her the cards, while very interesting, were just bright colorful pictures that didn't make a bit of sense.

        Emma frowned, leaning her chin on her palm. "Well, I think my house is haunted. Do you think that is the threat?"

        "I don't think so, although I will have my Mom look into that. Maybe Cody could help some with that specific issue," Marissa hedged gently. Her eyes still locked on the cards, the frown of concentration still in place.

        "Okay. Thanks," she replied. Cody was a cop, but what did that have to do with ghosts? It's not like you could put a protective order against a spirit. Or lock them up for disturbing the peace or something. She fought down a giggle at the absurdity of the thought.

        "I also see that you're feeling confused about your emotions. Especially in matters where your heart is concerned," Marissa smiled at her. Her dark eyes appeared so kind and full of understanding. "You are afraid of loss, again."

        Emma knew her face burned brightly. What was it with people today? She knew she had mommy issues but geez did everyone have to keep pointing it out? What the hell? As much as she hated to admit it; it was true either way.

        Emma nibbled her lip as she recalled what Cindy had said about letting someone in. Well, no time like the present. "Yeah, I am," she looked up at the older woman across from her. "My...my mother left me when I was six years old."

        "Oh you poor dear girl," Marissa said softly, reaching for her hand, Emma took it and smiled sadly. "Go on," she urged gently with a gentle squeeze. 

        "My mom...she used to," she looked down at her other hand clutching at the hem of her hoodie. Why had it always been so hard to admit this? "My mom wasn't the best person, and when she left my grandparents raised me." Emma shrugged one shoulder and pushed the stray curl back. "And believe me I know I'm luckier than most kids whose parents just flat out abandon them, but it makes it hard to...relate. You know? And now," she shrugged again trying to find the words. "I don't know," she finished lamely, not knowing exactly how to word the icky swirling emotions in her stomach.