4: The disappearances of brides in the mountains

You were at Ling Wens palace, playing with Xie Lians hands in boredom as he conversed with Ling Wen. She gave Xie Lian a scroll with the details, which he put into his sleeve. You both thanked Ling Wen.

„Im just doing my job. The one you should really thank is the emperor." you rolled your eyes. The emperor wasn't doing shit! You shook your head as you and Xie Lian started walking out of her office.

„May you have a safe journey. And wherever you go, I wish you all the heavenly blessings. „And may all taboos..." „...be shattered." Xie Lian and you finished the sentence as you smiled at one another.

TIMESKIP
You hummed as Xie Lian and you walked in the mortal realm, the sun was shining down at both of you. You were both holding hands.

Xie Lian was happy to the core that you were by his side again. He enjoyed your humming and your beautiful smile, he'd do anything to see that smile on your face.

You were walking past some women talking about the missing brides and soon came across a tea house with a sleeping man, the sleeping man woke up and was quick to serve you, guiding you to nice seats.

„Welcome good sirs, please take a seat." both of you took a seat, you sitting across from Xie Lian. „A pot of tea please- and some desserts as well if you have some.." Xie Lian ordered as he took of his hat and smiled at the man, the man nodded, „right.", and walked tried to walk away, but Xie Lian stopped him.

„Pardon. Has anything strange happened here lately?" You sat quietly in your seat, admiring Xie Lians face, it has been a while since you have seen it. „Speak no evil, see no evil." You shot him a glance before chuckling at Xie Lians cute shocked face.

As you chuckled you did not notice a butterfly approaching you, only when it sat down on your nose. You stilled and looked down at your nose in slight shock before frowning.

Something so beautiful should not touch the dirty and evil you, especially since it could die easily. Xie Lian is different tho...

The butterfly however did not die, which cane as a shock to you. Where your powers not working? They were weakened but they shouldn't be that weak.. you pursed your lips, not noticing the butterfly flying away with Xie Lian looking after it, standing up to see it fly away, until he heard the voice of Lingwen talking to him.

You didn't notice anything as you were still deep in thought. Suddenly two men sat beside you. You snapped out of your thoughts and looked at both men in confusion, but both just looked ahead.

Xie Lian turned to you all as you gave him a questioning look. But he continued to talk to someone telepathically.

The man soon came back go serve you tea and some little cakes for you. You now sat by Xie Lians side, slightly uncomfortable by the new people as the man poured in your tea in your cups. Xie Lian drank some as you swallowed a cake whole which made Xie Lian sweatdrop. „So..., you are...?" „Nan Feng." „Fu Yao." both men answered, staring at Xie Lian.

„I meant your position, but names are nice aswell! Could you tell me what gods youre working for?" Xie Lian gave them a polite smile while you admired his face from the side, continuing to eat your cakes.

„Nan Yang." Nan Feng answered. „Xuan Zhen." answered Fu Yao. You perked up at that and Xie Lian spit out his tea. You pat his back.

„I see so it was the two generals who send you here to aid me.." Xie Lian shivered and you continued patting his back. „Actually they're clueless" „We didn't tell them." both of them answered.

„Is Nan Yang doing well? I only saw him for a bit last time and he was in a hurry.." you voiced your concern, something you'd never admit infront of him. Nan Feng had to stop a teasing smile to come to his lips. „He seems to be doing well." You nodded and smiled a little. „That's good."