Family

Book 3 - The Titans Curse

Cameron and Ayden were placed in front of one another

Cameron and Ayden were placed in front of one another. Neither moved. Neither spoke. They just stared at one another. They'd been together for a while, both were unconscious and in a limbo state.

"Do you hate me now?" Cameron asked. Ayden didn't know where she was, but she wasn't angry. She was sad.

"No," Ayden shook her head. "I'm confused and hurt, but I don't hate you. I could never hate you Cameron, you helped yourself and I won't make you a monster for that." Cameron wiped at her cheeks as tears started to fall.

"I thought I was doing right," Cameron added. "I'm truly sorry and I want you to know I don't blame you."

"For what?" Ayden moved closer to her.

"Do you forgive me?" Tears streamed down her chips and dripped off her chin.

"Cameron," Ayden hesitated. "I forgive you." she gripped Ayden's hand, but there wasn't any pressure. It was like she wasn't really there.

"I wish you would have been my little sister for a little longer."

"I can be." Ayden smiled. "Just come home, we can help. Let's just go about this a different way. I'm making a change."

"No you're trying to get yourself killed and it's too late for me." Cameron reached her cheeks. "Save yourself." She wiped the bloody tears from Ayden's cheeks.

"It's not too late, Cameron. I'll protect."

"You can't protect me anymore, Ayden." Tears fell. Ayden didn't understand. They wanted to same thing, just different ways of achieving it.

"Don't blame yourself." Cameron gave her a tight smile as her hands moved to Ayden's shoulders. "I'm proud of you. I'm so proud of you and how far you've come. You seem happy or as happy as can be." Cameron pulled her close for a hug. When she leaned back she saw that Cameron wasn't crying anymore. Color had returned to her face.

"What's going on?"

"I get to say goodbye," Cameron told her as she took a step back. Ayden moved closer to her, she feared that if she got too far she would lose her. "We're in your mind."

"Why? What is this?"

"A dream," Cameron's eyes started to tear up. "You can't save them."

"Who? Ki? Luke?" Cameron nodded. "Yes, we can. We can do it, I just need-."

"I can't save them. You have to, if you can."

"I don't understand what you mean by that. The war has barely begun, we can save them. Together. Luke will follow you anywhere, if the gods have a problem with it I can protect you." Ayden moved closer to Cameron, but she started to fade.