Chapter two, For the people we hold dear

»»——⍟——««

..- /  .-. /  .-.. --- …- . -..

I bite my lip and look down at my hands, realizing they aren't entirely clean.

Great... I shook that girl's hand... I think, suddenly feeling self conscious.
It takes another strike to my face from my boss to snap me back to reality and remember the problem at hand.

I can taste blood... I hope there isn't any on my face.

"Answer me, boy!" My boss is fuming. "Do my eyes deceive me? Were you or were you not talking to that girl whilst on your rounds?"

"I... I... Uh..." I stammer, not knowing how to answer him correctly.

"Yes, sir, I was. But I was merely apologizing for um... bumping into her."

My boss scowls at me, I can tell he wants to spit some nasty insult at me.
That's just how he is, my boss. Always trying to find a way to get me into some sort of trouble.
Going out of his way to blame me for little, insignificant things.

I've learned to put up with him and follow by his strict rules. But every so often I'll find myself getting slapped across the face, lectured, or given the burden of more dreadful rules to live by.

He shoves me into the wall, I grunt as the force sends a sharp pain through my chest and shoulders. Because of the impact, the back of my head knocks into the wall as well, giving me an instant headache. I bite the inside of my cheek, knowing all too well that I'll have bruises tomorrow. The worst part about it is that I can't fight back, or I'll instantly be fired, though I'm not sure why he hasn't just dismissed me already. I think he enjoys pushing me around a bit too much.

"That's three dollars off of your hourly wages for one-no, three weeks." I can feel that one coming. I internally wince as I nod reluctantly.
I can't bear the thought of my pay being cut in half for practically an entirety of a month... Oh well, I suppose we'll have to make do.

I typically get paid six dollars an hour, so it could've been worse. It's better than not getting paid at all.

My boss scoffs and strides away without another word, leaving as fast as he showed up. I clench my fists, wanting to give that man a piece of my mind. I feel the anger rising throughout my body. I struggle to suppress my irritation. I run a hand through my hair, trying to calm down.

I had to adjust to the feeling... The feeling of insignificance. Whenever I'm around my boss, at least. That's what I am to him, less than human. I've grown to accept it and I try not to dwell on it too much. Though sometimes it's an easy trap to fall into.

After a moment of just standing there, surveying my minor bruises that have already appeared on my skin, I grab the bucket of cement and the small handheld shovel and climb the ladder.

I begin to repair the crumbling ceiling, mostly zoning out. I have done this so many times I could probably quite literally do this in my sleep.

I think about my sister, as I do often. I wonder what she is doing... This morning when I got up to start my rounds she had still been asleep. She usually sleeps in late, though I can't blame her. If I could I would too.

She was thrilled when she found out that they only have "school" three days a week. It really isn't school though, a better name for it would be 'life skills'.

From what she's told me, they meet in the cafeteria. One of the elders usually volunteers to teach about a certain life skill such as managing money, cleaning, tending to wounds, and so on.

I've heard it's very educational, and at times better than what school used to be.

I'm just glad Willow is socializing while learning the essentials.

Before I know it I finish repairing the ceiling. Fixing things is becoming my specialty.

Just as I am climbing down the ladder I hear a quiet voice coming from behind me.

"Any..." I recognize the voice as my little sister, Willow. That is a cute little nickname she gave me when she was younger, Any. Only people I know very well call me that. She never seems to fail to use the name on me.

I turn to look at her, giving a soft smile. "Heya, sunshine. Do you need something? I'm almost done with my rounds so we can go get some dinner," I say.

Her face instantly lights up. "I heard they are offering cookies for a treat today! Can we get some? Please?" She practically begs. She would quite literally go to the ends of the earth for sugary foods.

I laugh a bit and set the bucket of cement down. "Yeah, we'll see how much they cost. In the meantime, how about you go find someone to hang out with," I reply.

Believe it or not, she loves to spill her heart out to anyone who would listen. There aren't many kids she gets along with, so when she finds someone who is willing to listen to her go on and on, she goes crazy with excitement.

She grins, "Okay, I'll see you later, Any."

I give her a thumbs up and she wanders off to find someone to talk to.

I put the ladder away along with the cement and handheld shovel. I continue on with my rounds for another hour, and surprisingly, there isn't much more to be done. Just the usual daily cleanups, nothing too horrific.

I end my shift not so long afterwards and begin searching the halls for my sister.

Soon enough I can hear familiar giggling coming from one of the private living quarters. I can only guess that would be my sister bothering someone.

~ Continue in chapter three ~