Chapter four, The fire inside us

»»--⍟--««

-.- . . .--. / ..- .-. / -... ..- .-. -. .. -. --. / .--. .- ... ... .. --- -. / .- .-.. .. --. .... -

Later that night...
••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••

I find myself sprinting to Lena's living quarters.
I pound on her door, hoping to wake her. I feel bad. It's the middle of the night. But who else could I tell? I'm not about to blab this to my boss.
No, even though we just met, Lena is the only person down here that can keep this to herself.

If this leaked, rumors and gossip would spread. That's the last thing I need right now.

A clearly annoyed Lena opens the door only moments later. She still looks flawless, even though she probably just got out of bed to answer the door.

She speaks in a hoarse voice, "This better be good. I was having a really nice dream."

If this would've been under normal circumstances, I would've laughed. But no. This is serious. I don't have any time to waste.

I am still panting from the stress, and from sprinting to get here. I realize I probably look like a wreck; tired, stressed and in shock, I am a living, breathing disaster.

I try to catch my breath, "Lena... L-lena..."

"Well come on then, spit it out," she says impatiently.

"Lena... It's Willow... She's ill..."

She raises an eyebrow. "If you're gonna ask me to clean up vomit, you can go," she says, not taking this seriously.

"No... No she's sick with a deadly disease... They have her under quarantine... They said she'll only live a few days..."

I notice how distraught I sound. Surely she can understand, right? Surely she knows what it's like to potentially lose someone you love. I'm almost certain all of us have been through it before.

This has all happened so quickly. It's too much to process. I can't stand the thought of loosing my sister. She is everything to me. Without her I honestly don't have anyone to live for.

Willow had been fine at dinner. We had said our goodbyes to Lena and went to our bunk. Willow was about to go to bed when she crashed out of nowhere. I didn't know what to do. Willow was unconscious. I eventually decided to take her to the medical wing, and that's when the doctor told me that she only had a few days to live.

An idea formed in my head while I sat there beside Willow's hospital bed. The doctors had mentioned something about a cure, but it could only be found on the surface.

So here I am now, probably half insane due to my lack of sleep, practically signing up to commit suicide. Lena probably thinks I'm crazy. Maybe I am crazy...

I speak, "There's a cure. A plant that can only be found on the surface. I'm leaving tonight. Please, you have to keep this a secret. No one can know that I'm gone."

She looks shook by everything I had just told her. "What? You can't go to the surface, Anthony. You know how dangerous it is up there. Besides, if anyone found out you're gone you would be in huge trouble."

"That's exactly why I'm asking you to keep this to yourself. Please, be there for Willow, be with her while I'm gone. I had to tell someone, just in case things go south. Cover for me while I'm gone. They probably won't even notice... Well, except for my boss."

"I'm coming with you," she says plainly, like it is no big deal.

"What?" Now it is my turn to be surprised.

She repeats herself, "I'm coming with you, Anthony. When are we leaving?"

"Huh? No. This is my problem, not yours. You're not coming."
She rolls her eyes, I can tell she isn't going to give this up.

"When are we leaving?" She asks once more.

"No," I say, crossing my arms over my chest. Fine then, I won't budge either.

She grabs the collar of my shirt and yanks me closer to her so our faces are only inches apart.
"Anthony Reed. I'm coming with you whether you like it or not. Now then, when should I be ready to go?"

I bite my lip and blush slightly at our closeness. An odd sensation I haven't felt in a long time rises up inside me. I get butterflies in my stomach.

"I-... um... meet me by the exit in fifteen minutes."

What did I just say? Did I allow her to come along? I'm not sure. At the moment my thoughts are clouded, the only thing I can think about is the fact that our faces are less than a foot apart.

She smirks and lets go of my shirt collar, reaching up and patting my hair playfully.
"That's a good boy," she says as if she is talking to a dog.

My face is as red as a tomato, I just know it. What is she doing to me? Whatever it is I honestly don't mind it...

"I'll see you then. I sure hope you have a plan," she says, interrupting my thoughts.

I have come prepared. I do indeed have a plan on getting past the heavy security system blocking the exit leading to the surface.

My strategy couldn't be pulled off by just anyone. This is one of the few reasons why I actually like being the maintenance guy.

I nod, "I'll see you then."

~ Continue in chapter five ~