Chapter five, The sacrifices we make

»»——⍟——««

…. .- …- .  /  -.-. --- ..- .-. .- --. .

This is really happening...
Inhale... Exhale... Inhale... Exhale...

I have to remind myself to breathe, anxiety engulfing me, driving my thoughts and emotions.

I glance over at Lena, fifteen minutes ago we had both gathered essential items: extra clothing, food, water and even a dagger I had smuggled down here when the apocalypse started.

Weapons like guns, daggers and even things like pitchforks are forbidden here in the Revision.
Just another way our government is so controlling...

We are hiding behind a wall near the large metal door, waiting for the security guard to end his shift.

Before all of this, I guess you could say I had hacked into the surveillance cameras and set them to shut off for about an hour, giving us some time to sneak out unnoticed.

Sometimes being the maintenance guy comes with it's perks.

Just then I hear the guard speak into his handheld transceiver, "I'm ending my shift now. No suspicious activity. You may clock in. Over."

I hold my breath as the guard packs up his things and slowly begins to stroll away, down the hall. He has no idea that we are watching him. Even though I think we went unnoticed, Lena and I slide further into the shadows, just in case.
We don't want to get caught. If we did, there's no telling what would become of us.

Once the guard is out of sight, I hold my hand out, telling Lena to wait a moment.

After a few minutes pass, I decide the coast is clear. I gesture for her to follow me.

My heart is racing as we quickly walk towards the door. There's no room for mistakes now. I begin to feel dizzy from worry. I need to calm down.

But how can I? Our reputations are at stake, not like it really matters anymore, though.

I swallow hard as we approach the door. We only have a minute at max to get out before the next guard will arrive to start their shift.

I look down at the digital lock pad on the door. I bite my lip, searching my memory for the correct combination.

My hands shake as I enter what I believe the code is.
The numbers I submitted flash red and then they switch back to 0000.

Lena whispers a little too loudly, "Is something wrong? Come on, Anthony, we don't have much time."

"I know, I know," I mutter, "Let me try again."

I enter another code, and once again, the numbers flash red, indicating that the combination I put in is invalid.

My hands begin to feel clammy, my armpits sweaty. I am panicking, I don't know if we'll make it out unnoticed after all.
I look over at Lena, who is glancing around nervously. I can tell she is on edge as well.

That's when I hear it. The sound I was hoping we wouldn't have to hear. The sound of footsteps coming from down the hall. It is the next guard, coming to clock in.
We need to get out.
Now.

I look down at the lock pad again, thinking hard. I don't believe I've thought so hard in my life.
I enter the last possible combination that crosses my mind.

Nothing happens. I wait, hoping something would happen. Anything.

Finally the numbers turn green and I hear the door softly click.

I had figured out the code.

I glance over my shoulder, the guard isn't in our line of view yet, but the guard's footsteps only get louder and louder by the second.