Chapter thirteen, Ghost town

»»--⍟--««

.-.. .. ...- . / -.-- --- ..- .-. / .-.. .. ..-. .

I reach into my pocket, searching for my dagger. It's not there. I guess it had been lost in the rush to get away from the Thrall. Where could it be? Maybe later if I survive this I'll search the area for it.

But then again a weapon probably won't do much good against an already deceased creature.

My palms are sweating as I look the ghost up and down. It appears to be a middle aged woman, just in spirit form. She seems to be made of mist, everything about her is white and gray.

Her extremely long curly hair looks as if it is floating around her. The pure white mist dress that she is wearing seems to be weightless. I can't see her feet, or if she has shoes on. She is standing on a layer of fog.

She smiles at me, in an all too friendly way. She is practically staring into my soul. The whole scene makes me uncomfortable. I think about running, but this being is simply a phantom. What could it possibly do to me? Nothing, I hope...

The ghost approaches me, floating towards me. She stays at eye level, thankfully keeping a good distance between us.

"Hello, dear Anthony..." her voice echoes softly through the still forest. Her tone sounds empty and hollow, yet soothing at the same time.

I practically cling onto the tree behind me, trusting that a spirit can't hurt me. I swallow back my fear and speak in a whisper, "What do you want?"

"Oh..." the ghost's voice is breathy, "I can sense your great fear. No need to worry, I will not harm you..."

"Uh-" I just stand there, completely dumbfounded. I've seen many odd things in my lifetime, but never a ghost. I always thought those were only in children's fairy tales, but I suppose anything can happen here on the surface. Or maybe this isn't real. Maybe my mind is playing games with me.

"I have only come to assist you, dear..."

I clear my throat, "Er... w-what if I don't need assistance?" I say the first thing that comes to my mind.

The ghost chuckles softly, it doesn't sound like a regular laugh though. More like beautifully played notes on a piano.

I look into her eyes; she is standing- or maybe I should say floating- a few yards away from me. The spirit's eyes are a glowing shade of gray, somehow filled with emotion. In a way, the caring look in her eyes seems false.

"I can feel it in the air, Anthony... you are troubled... you are longing for something... or should I say, someone..."

I raise an eyebrow, a bad feeling rising up inside me. I clench my fists. I know who the ghost is talking about, and sadly, it's not my sister.

"You're searching for your precious Lena... You've grown quite fond of her, I can tell..."

She isn't wrong. I don't know what's going through my head. Maybe the forest is meddling with my thoughts. I'm here to save my sister, not to find Lena. I'm ashamed to say at the moment Lena is my number one priority.

"I'm afraid your search is in vain..." the ghost says, her expression turning sorrowful.

"What do you mean?" my voice rises.