Chapter three, The time we spent

»»--⍟--««

. -. .--- --- -.-- / .-.. .. ..-. .

I press my ear to the door, trying to listen in on what information my sister is sharing.

I have no idea whose living quarters she's in, which slightly worries me.
I bite my lip, hearing another familiar voice, besides my sister's. I realize what I am doing is wrong.
Eavesdropping. But what other choice do I have?

I listen carefully as I hear my sister speak, "Oh yeah, you won't believe how he got that scar across his cheek."

Ugh! She's talking about me. And of all things, my scar... It's a touchy subject.

I swallow hard as I realize who my sister is talking to. It's the girl I ran into earlier, Lena. I recognize her voice.

"Really?" Lena speaks, "What happened?" My sister giggles a bit and begins to spill the story I would rather not share.

I decide I need to do something. I knock. That's all I can bring myself to do, even though the door is unlocked.

I hear my sister go quiet, and then speak again, "That's probably him now. He promised me he would get me a treat today!"

Well, I never promised, but I'll probably end up getting my sister a treat anyway.

Just then the brass doorknob turns and the door opens. I find myself face to face with Lena Hansley, once again.

I scratch the back of my neck... Am I nervous? No, why should I be nervous?

"Hi, again. Uh, is Willow bothering you? I'm so sorry..."

Lena glances over her shoulder at my sister, "Oh no, she's actually doing the exact opposite. We're having some girl time." She playfully winks at my sister who is sitting on the floor in the middle of the colorful room, her knees tucked against her chest.

Willow stands and walks over to the door to greet me. My sister speaks, "Finally! You're done. Now can we get something to eat? I'm starving!"

I smile warmly. My sister is the only reason why I'm still going... She's the reason I wake in the morning. I would do anything for her, if it means her safety.

"Yeah, yeah, I told you we would. I'm not about to go breaking my promises."
She walks over to my side and I notice her hair has been braided. Probably by Lena.

I look over at Lena once more, "Thank you so much, she can be a handful sometimes." I nudge my sister playfully but gently with my elbow.

I think I see Lena smile just a little, but maybe I'm wrong.
She nods, "Of course. I'd gladly do it again. I don't get company often, so it's nice when I do."

Hmm... maybe we have more in common than I thought.

"Well, we best be off," I say, not wanting to keep my sister waiting.

Just as my sister and I turn to go, Lena speaks up. "Hey, I was about to grab something to eat anyway. Would you mind if I came with you two?"

I look back at her, slightly surprised she wants to come along with us. "Sure, why not," I say casually, when internally I find myself... excited?

•••

We arrive at the makeshift, poorly lit cafeteria only minutes later. I glance around anxiously, hoping my boss isn't here as well. I don't think I can face him again after what happened earlier.

I walk over to the long self-serving counter covered with food options. I grab two trays for my sister and I, Lena takes a tray for herself. I survey the options for today's dinner, though I don't know what I expected. It's always lousy meals that anyone could whip up. Oh well, I can't complain. At least we have food.