Chapter six, Regret, pain and sorrow

»»--⍟--««

.- ..-. ..-. . -.-. - .. --- -. / .--. . .- -.-. . / .- -. -.. /
.--- --- -.--

I can feel my whole body shake in anticipation. No... It can't be, I think. This is exactly what I didn't want to happen. There's no way I'll be able to face this agonizing pain again.

I grip onto the dagger handle firmly, ready to launch it at whoever is speaking if need be.

Even though Lena acts as if she is bold enough to face anything, I have quickly found out that she is all bark and no bite. I can hear her shaky breath behind me; she is anxious as well.

Though I can't blame her, the apocalypse seemed to make us all act more fierce than we really are. Honestly, I don't see myself as the bravest in the bunch.

I hear footsteps and twigs snapping underfoot. In a flash the person steps out from behind a nearby tree, revealing themselves. It is exactly who I thought it would be. My worst fear is coming true.

Memories flash through my mind creating a stabbing pain in my chest. I have to get through this as fast as possible. I have to remind myself this isn't real and that this person is only human on the outside.

She seems shorter than I remember her to be, though I've grown since I last saw her. She is dirty, her wild red hair in tangles. Twigs and leaves stuck in her untamed locks. Her bright green eyes that I always remembered to have a sparkle in them are sunken in, the pretty color faded from them. She is very gaunt, skinnier than any real human should be. Her clothes are torn and tattered, the result of staying out in the wild for so long. I notice a large scar on her neck. The scar was from the wound that had determined her fate.

This is my mother. The brainwashed, filthy, psychotic version of herself.

My eyes widen in astonishment. I know what she had become, I just never knew I would see her again. I don't know if I can finish her off, for good this time. Not after what happened last time...

She steps closer to us, she is only about five yards away, but with every step she takes she closes that distance. She speaks in a weak voice, "Oh... Anthony, I never thought I would see you again..."

Every step forward my mother takes I slowly inch backwards, taking Lena's hand in mine so that she will follow me. I'm not sure if Lena knows what I must do. "Nor did I," I say cautiously but truthfully.

My mother reaches her hand out towards me, we are only about seven feet apart now. I gesture for Lena to stay back as I take a step closer to my mother. I try to suppress every feeling whirling inside of me. I have to hold back every instinct I have.

I can hear Lena's uneasy whisper behind me, "Anthony... don't."

I ignore Lena's command, hiding the dagger behind my back, hoping my mother can't see it. I speak comfortingly to my mother, even though I know she's not really in there. "Mother... I'm so sorry... for..." I can't seem to spit it out. "... For everything," I say instead of the many other things I should be apologizing for.

My mother reaches up and caresses my cheek lovingly, giving a soft smile. I look into her eyes for any sign of familiarity. Love, hate, sadness, anything. But there is nothing. Her eyes have no emotion behind them. Though I don't really know what I expect to see.

I notice a tear spill down onto her cheek as she extends both of her arms out and wraps them around me, hugging me tightly. I clench my jaw and return the hug, lightly wrapping my arms around her. The dagger still in my hand.

I begin to feel uneasy. Something is about to happen, I can feel it.

Just as I am processing all of these weighing emotions, I hear Lena scream as I feel something sharp threaten to dig into my shoulder. My mother is attempting to bite me, to change me into a victim, like herself.

I know it is time. I need to let go. To release all of the heavy feelings that I have been carrying on my chest for all of these years. All of the regret, pain and sorrow.

I quickly position the dagger in my hand and stab it into my mother's back without further hesitation, digging it deep into her already rotting flesh.

My hands are shaking as I yank the dagger out of her back as fast as I had jabbed it in. I pull away from her just as she lets out an ear piercing shriek that sends shivers down my spine.
I haven't even noticed the blood on my shoulder, seeping out onto my clothes.

With that my mother disintegrates, vanishing into a small pile of ash directly in front of me.

I feel tears begin to form in my eyes. No. Why am I so emotional? I let go of my family years ago... or had I?

I whisper a soft, "Goodbye," and that's when my emotions get the better of me. I fall down into my knees and put my head in my hands, allowing myself to cry. I haven't cried in some time. It feels good to let it all out. It makes the pain in my chest subside for a moment.

As I weep, I feel a gentle touch on my uninjured shoulder. It is Lena. "You did what needed to be done," she speaks softly. That is the first time I can recall hearing Lena at least trying to be comforting. But it doesn't help.

As I kneel there, sobbing over my mother's ashes, I realize what I've done. Even though I struggle to see it, finishing my mother was right. Even though I feel that I had done it once before. Years ago.

~ Continue in chapter seven ~