Chapter 3

BLANCHE

After almost killing Marisol for her acting crazy this morning with Lex, we were occupied until closing time. She isn't the first to think differently about our friendship, but the truth is we have never let something romantic break up what we have. Some brief moments during the rest of the day my mind wanders me to the possibilities, but I shake my head and keep on working.

The bakery has been a dream for me for a very long time. Hotcakes is a place for people from town to come together, have some sweet, homemade baked goods. I want my customers to leave with a smile on their faces. A beacon of positive vibes, just like my mom was before she left this world way too soon.

People used to come to the hardware store for a listening ear and her warmth. She would speak from the heart, always offering wise words to guide through the storm someone was facing. No matter the inner turmoil that person was experiencing, they would always leave with an uplifting note to think about.

Which reminds me that there is darkness in everyone, and it's up to each of us to keep the bit of light that seeps through the cracks shining brightly.

I'm wiping down the counter one last time as Marisol emerges from the kitchen before closing. She slumps in a seat at the table we use for our breaks and pulls out her phone, tapping at it with a deep sigh.

"Idiot ex again?" I ask, folding my apron over the other chair and ruffling the dinosaur stamped fabric of the skirt of my dress.

"He needs me to take the kids to school tomorrow." Marisol huffs, mumbling something under her breath in Spanish.

"Don't worry," I say. Knowing immediately why she's worried. "I'm seeing Lex tonight. He will help with the preparations tomorrow. I grin and I notice the pronounced frown on her forehead ebbing away.

I know Lex will sputter and protest for a bit, but he will be here in the morning and decorate cookies if I ask him to. Same when he needs someone to go with him to comic-con, or dress up accordingly. Which I only did once, but I have used the one time occurrence tons of times as leverage when I wanted a favor. I'm not against using it again. He owes me.

"Are you going to the park?" Marisol pipes up after typing an answer to her douchebag ex, her contemplative eyes lifting to mine.

"Like each year, or when we need it." I respond solemnly, reminiscing on our thing, something that has become a tradition. "I'll go get us a cup of apple tea with cinnamon." I wink, knowing the brew will boost both our spirits.

"Great idea," Marisol beams. "I'll take one of those blueberry muffins, too."

I snicker, trying to contain my laughter, but I pile some sweets on a plate for us to nibble on with our tea. The lights in the bakery are dimmed, and the door is closed since five o'clock, so I sit down, deserving of a little reprieve after the busy day. Marisol is still going through her phone, chuckling.

"I was scrolling through my socials." She explains. Shrugging, she drops the phone in her purse after a quick glance and shifts her attention to the muffin she was definitely craving on the plate between us. "Just checking the people I don't like to make sure I still don't like them. It's a good laugh."

I can't control the eye roll, but whatever floats her boat. She has been through enough, and keeps bending to her ex's will, especially when it involves the children. He knows she would do anything for those kids and uses it to pressure her constantly. She deserves someone who puts her first and treats her like the queen she is.

Light tapping on the window startles me, and I already know who it is before I slide the curtain slightly to the side to see a familiar bicycle parked against it.