Chapter 10

BLANCHE

I feel like I'm in season five of my life and the writers are just making shit happen to keep things interesting. While they figure out the next plot twist, I'm just staring at myself in the mirror of my bathroom.

My colorful hair is a fucking mess on my head, dried tears clinging to my skin. I cried and tossed and turned in my bed the entire night when Marisol sent me a message after dinner.

Marisol: I know this is maybe not my place, but could you be pregnant?

I did have sex with Lex, and I haven't had my period yet. I'm not exactly late, but I have been feeling weird to my stomach and to certain foods. The rubber we used was stuck in the bottom of one of the drawers of his desk. It could have been faulty or even expired.

Blanche: Can you bring me some tests in the morning?

Which leaves me now standing in the upstairs bathroom, with Marisol just waiting outside after putting a small pharmacy bag into my hands. I follow the instructions that come with the test, then set a timer and open the bathroom door.

"Now we only have to wait, Blanquita." Marisol comes in and leans against the wall, studying my gaze, gauging my mood, as I sit there, with my chin propped up on my hands.

I feel like crying, but I'm tired and have no more tears to give. A haunted feeling trembles over my skin and I'm not sure what answer I am expecting from the white stick lying on the marble. My eyes are trained on the damn thing as if it were about to explode, while Marisol is regarding me in silence.

The timer goes off with a buzzing sound, and Marisol's kind eyes flick to mine.

Something is stuck in my throat and it feels raspy as I force the words out. "I can't look. You do it."

"Pussy." Marisol mumbles playfully, but her eyes widen as she flips the test over and I already know the result.

The pit in my stomach expands, and I fall to my knees as my hands cover my face. "Oh no, fuck, shit, no." The expletives keep coming as I try to hide myself from the daunting reality.

Her arms wrap around my shaking shoulders and I shiver as the cold, tiled floor seeps through my pajama pants. "It's positive."

The soft rays of the rising sun begin to shine through the small bathroom window and, as I blink my tears away, I somehow find some strength. I'm not yet ready to admit to the possibilities that there is life growing inside of me. I'm still so young, and not ready for an unplanned pregnancy. Even if it comforts me that Lex is the father of the possible bean in my belly.

Lifting myself to my shaking legs, I lean onto the bathroom countertop and my eyes fall on the two neat blue stripes displayed on the test.

"I'll take another one. Must be a false positive." I say, scowling at the insulting thing as I lift it up, and put it back with the result screen facing down.

"I got a couple of them," Marisol says and rummages through the pharmacy paper bag.

"You've really come prepared." I huff humorlessly.

Marisol nods and hands me another test. "Since I've known you, I've never seen you sick. Also, I went through two pregnancies myself and the signs are there."

"Just from seeing me barfing at Thanksgiving?" I'm snippy, but that's how I cope with the emotions swirling inside of me.

"There are more signs to your body than only morning sickness," Marisol explains calmly. "Now, listen to Tía Sol, because she knows best, and pee on the stick."