Chapter 6

BLANCHE

After the sexcapade with Lex, or from now on known as the Halloween-we-don't-talk-about, as if it were about a villain from one of his beloved book series; Lex and I parted ways and returned each to our own worlds.

Me, to busy myself with my flourishing bakery and him, back to his small office at the newspaper.

While I thought we were quite clear on where we both stood on putting our friendship first, and that our talk had salvaged the situation, the events certainly put a dent in our relationship.

Lex hadn't come for a few days to pick up his morning coffee. I even made an extra batch of blueberry muffins for him, and I ended up throwing them away when he didn't show up the entire day.

Or that's at least what I told Marisol. The spongy little cakes couldn't take my disappointment and the berries splattered when I threw them off the counter in a fell swoop. Which left me angry-cleaning the counters after closing time.

No messages on my phone. No stupid memes sent through one of our social apps either. It is uncommon for the both of us to be so silent, but I couldn't bring myself to be the first to reach out.

Especially not after the awkward morning after, and putting my foot in my mouth. Repeatedly.

Even Marisol knows something is amiss, as I'm being quieter than usual and I'm not singing along with Lex's Spotify playlist in the morning while baking the batches for the day.

Instead, I haven't dared to open the app.

The bell above the door chimes when a customer walks in, and it makes me turn around just in time to spare the decorated sugar cookies I've been putting a bit too forcefully into the display for a worse fate.

I'm surprised when I see Olivia—Lex's colleague at the newspaper—walking straight towards me. Her long black hair is up in a sleek ponytail and it swishes as she approaches.

She's wearing a sleek—office approved—combination that accentuates her lithe physique, a stark contrast to my bold hair color and cupcake dress in 60s style that fills out in all the right places. Maybe I'm nibbling on too much leftovers lately.

"Hi," she waves energetically. "Blanche, right?"

"Olivia?" I follow her tune. If one thing I'm certain about a girl with a crush, is that she makes it her business to know the name of the female best friend as soon as possible.

I don't know why she insists on the charade, but I will play along.

She nods effusively, a tentative smile on her face. "A cappuccino and one of those great-looking raspberry tarts, please." She orders and sits down at the counter, directly opposite of where I'm standing.

"Coming right up," I say, starting up the coffee machine. "But I guess you're not only here to try my pastries."

Her eyes open wide when my assertive jab lands. I'm annoyed with the situation with Lex and my directness is a defense mechanism. I know it's not her fault, but I'm out of sorts with everything.

I will need to get my shit together sooner rather than later.

"I'm sorry," Olivia stammers, looking apologetical for a second. "I came for advice."

Now, that I didn't expect.

"Advice?" I ask. "To bake a cake or so?" I turn around to busy myself with her order.

"I like Lex." Olivia admits.

I must say I'm impressed with her being so direct to me. Normally, that's my area of expertise. And where did it get me? To be on the outs with Lex for the first time ever. I groan.