Chapter 11

BLANCHE

Now that Thanksgiving is over, the preparations for Christmas time begin. In our small town, that means all in. We don't get snow because we're close to the coast, but the chilly wind and long nights really bring out the wintery feel of the season.

Christmas lights and decorations are being strung over the sidewalks and each business begins preparing for the jolly season. The playlists adapt, and the Hallmark inspired scenario comes to life.

Unfortunately, I'm not feeling it.

I put on my armor in front of the mirror in the morning. Every layer of my makeup applied is another coat that could protect me from what I needed to face. My bright lipstick wouldn't do anything to conjure up a smile, though.

My puffy pink candy swirls dress makes me look like a sad marshmallow. Fluffy and colorful on the outside but breaking apart on the inside. Yay.

When I spoke to Lex after the Thanksgiving fiasco with Olivia and afterwards finding out about being pregnant, I had been snippy, almost distantly cruel in my comments, and I knew he knew that something was wrong.

My emotions are all over the place, jumping up and down like one of those bouncy balls you could get at an expending machine. High and low, up and down, always shadowed by the secret I carry.

A secret I haven't had the guts to spill yet, to anyone—except for Marisol—because I'm trying to wrap my head around the fact that I'm pregnant. Carrying a baby. Lex and mine's child.

Talk about a fucked up conundrum.

Lex tried to call me, but I missed it and afterwards when I asked about it, he went quiet through our chat. There is something going on with him too, but I haven't had a moment to come to terms with my changing situation. He deserves to know.

How do you tell your best friend that he's going to be a dad?

After everything that Lex went through with his parents, does he even want to be a father himself? The topic has never come up, not even in all the years we've been friends.

It's going to be a hard conversation either way.

Sighing, I work out my frustrations on the dough. Marisol is manning the shop this morning, because I don't have the patience to deal with customers today.

I'm in such an awful mood that even my Christmas spirit is broken.

My apron is crinkled, the kitchen is in disarray and the cupcakes that I'm decorating should be cute little Santa's, baubles or decorated trees with sprinkles. Instead, I decided to piping the green frosting into mini grinches.

With the grass tip I made his furry coat, then I switched over to the red frosting for his Santa hat, piping it in a swirling motion. With white cream frosting, the finishing touches and a candy star for the pompom.

When I got to the chocolate fine tip for his features, I realized that instead of smiling grinches, these are all in the same bad mood as their creator.

I give up.

"Blanquita, where are the Christmas cookies for the display?" Marisol wanders into the kitchen.

Sol's eyes fall on my variety of pastries, and her brows furrow together in a scowl. Her hands take on the latina mother pose and I prepare for the storm.

"Are you moping?"

A deep sigh leaves me and I turn around to lean on the stainless steel counter. "I guess I am," I mumble and feel how the corners of my mouth drop down.