Chapter 21

Both Jang-mi and Hoshi's faces simultaneously flushed bright red. The manager glared at the two, his eyes burning with something that seemed to suggest the pair's imminent deaths in t-minus 3 minutes.

"What is this?" he questioned, but his tone conveyed the fact that he was likely not expecting an answer. Hoshi was immediately thrust back into primary school, getting potent déjà-vu from that one time he got caught throwing paper planes made of an English textbook when the teacher wasn't looking.

"We, uh-" he stumbled.

"This is ridiculous! We were on a dark rooftop, who the hell would manage to see us? Better yet, know it's us and take photos?" Jang-mi scoffed.

"Welcome to idol life, sweetheart," Hoshi huffed. He was clearly fazed by the news, but his reaction was not as visceral as his girlfriend's.

"That's all great, but what do you expect to do about this? Frankly, I couldn't care less about your personal grievances right now. What's done is done, and we need to do damage control. Soonyoung, we're putting you on live after dinner. And you-" he glared at Jang-mi. "You won't be involved. Got it?" the manager barked.

"But-" Hoshi tried to protest but was quickly shut down.

"No. Now get your asses back to the dining room and pretend nothing happened. You'll explain to the others in your own time, I'm finished here," the manager concluded, storming back into the restaurant.

"What's his deal?"

"I know he seems deranged and angry, but our manager knows what's best for the group, though he hasn't been here a while. He was practically shitting himself when the first scandal happened, so it's no wonder he's so on edge now," Hoshi explained.

"I get it, I do, but it's still so-"

"Angering?"

"Yeah, you could say that," she said.

"These things happen. We just need to deal with them and move on,"

"I guess. Wait, how long ago did he start working with you?"

"Around the time you caused that whole fainting fiasco at practice,"

"Mh," she let out a grunt in lieu of her strong wish to forget those events.

"Come on, let's go. I'm not that hungry but I'm not missing out on dessert," he grabbed her arm. Jang-mi laughed.

**

"Hi Carat! How are you?" Hoshi waved at the iPad screen. Jang-mi sat on the bed, away from the live, trying to make as little noise as possible. However, as her boyfriend performed an array of embarrassing aegyo, she couldn't help but let out a snort. 3 pairs of eyes immediately darted towards her. The staff glared at her, though the four of the were trapped in a silent limbo: neither able to say anything except for exchanging deprecating glances or attempting a crude version of a game of charades.

One whispered quietly to the other. Jang-mi could barely make it out, but she thought the staff said something along the lines of "who let her into this room?"

The other shrugged and more audibly responded, "she's fucking him, so now she can get away with anything, apparently,"

Jang-mi's face went hot from embarrassment. Hoshi glanced over at her, sensing her agitation. His eyes then met those of the staff which caused the two gossips to become exceedingly interested in the floor.

"What's your favorite food?" Hoshi read out slowly in English.

"I like... ramen!" he beamed, his cheeks pushing up on his eyes for his iconic 10:10. She smiled to herself. He knew ramen was her favorite.