Chapter 23

"So this is Sara, that's Hyunwoo, and this is Sungmin, the department lead," Ahri announced, leading Jang-mi through the small group of very stylishly-dressed people. She scanned all of them briefly, noticing the bold streak of red in Sara's pixie cut, how Hyunwoo's houndstooth blazer had one small monogrammed square on the lapel - and how Sungmin just radiated fashion, from the sleek, angular glasses he tucked over his slicked dark hair, down to the platformed boots which boosted his height by a good 4 inches.

Well, shit. I'm not fit for this at all.

"So, guys, as I've already said, this is Jang-mi," Ahri continued, thrusting Jang-mi right into the center of the group.

"Thank you so much for taking me in. I know this was very short notice, and I'm not as well-versed in fashion as all of you, but I hope I can be of help. I'll work really hard, and again, thank you," she bowed meekly, receding into her preferred spot halfway behind Ahri.

"Don't mention it, dear. Ahri put in a good word for you, and it's always better to have more hands on deck. Stray Kids are... a needy group. Don't get me wrong, the boys themselves are amazing, but Somin - she's the manager - had worked us to the bone this past year and we really appreciate the extra help," Sungmin said, his voice honey-like and thick. He glanced Jang-mi up and down, as if scrutinizing her whole existence.

"It's clear you're not completely, uhm... into fashion, but that's no problem. We'll catch you up in no time," he said, the corners of his mouth tightly pulling up, revealing a slight smirk. The others politely smiled at her, not saying much at all.

"Alright, great talk," Sungmin abruptly said, breaking the silence with two claps. "We need to prep for all the fashion weeks. Sara, you're on Jeongin's McQueen outfit. Yes, yes, that white one - oh, Hyunwoo, do you have the shoes? Shit - we don't have the rings yet, do we?"

**

"Ahri, I can't thank you enough," Jang-mi practically sung, the clatter of trays serenading the pair as they hovered through the JYP cafeteria. Whilst walking, Jang-mi could notice some weird looks her way - some were of confusion, others were knowing and seemed somewhat malicious.

"Don't mention it. I remember you saying how you wanted to try styling sometime, so now that you're a free bird, I decided there's no time like the present," Ahri stated.

Jang-mi lowered her tone slightly, bending closer to her friend. "Do you think they- well, you know..." she gestured frantically.

"Know about you and Hoshi? Yeah, probably. It's fine though, it's not like anyone can do anything to you here."

"That's- good?" Jang-mi replied, plopping down onto a chair opposite Ahri, shoveling a few forkfuls of salad into her mouth to the point where she looked like a very well-fed rabbit, complete with a few lettuce leaves sticking out.

"Jang-mi, calm down. I get it, it's your first day on the job and you're stressed out - that's fine for a little while. But oh my god, you need to chill," Ahri sighed, gently placing her hand on top of Jang-mi's free one.

"I'm calm!" Jang-mi responded incessantly through mouthfuls of salad.

"Whatever you say, girl. Just don't combust on the Louis Vuitton, please. You get anything on it and Sungmin will skin you alive and make you into a pair of loafers or a bag or something."

"Got it. No spontaneous combustion."

"Hey, look at you, you're learning already!"

**

After lunch, Jang-mi was further subjected to snaking through racks of clothing and catching stray lint. She wasn't sure what she'd expected; after all, Ahri did tell her she'd be an assistant stylist, the lowest of positions - the coffee-grabber, lint-expeller and shoe-shiner of the crew. Oh, how far she had fallen.