Chapter 24

2 uneventful weeks had passed since Jang-mi's assimilation into Stray Kids' crew, bearing with them long working hours, coffee runs at unholy hours of the day and an indescribable ache to go back to dancing. However, Jang-mi knew she'd be done if she continued along with those hopes. Her arrangement with Hoshi was already putting the both of them at further risk - more importantly him - so she kept quiet, maintaining closets and polishing yet unreleased mocassins from some unpronounceable brand.

It wasn't the worst job in the world, as she came to understand. The crew treasured her and treated her with respect, and the added benefit of one of her closest friends working alongside her did help too. To add onto that, Hoshi would be coming back in 1 week's time, prompting Jang-mi to gain some extra motivation.

What didn't help was Sara.

"Jang-mi, dear, can you go get that Bvlgari necklace please? It should be down there near the Van Cleef. Thanks," Sungmin ordered, though in the way he said it, it came out more as a favor between friends.

Jang-mi nodded, wading through the clothes to the jewelry section. All things considered, she'd managed to memorize the map of the storeroom fairly well given its extremely maze-like arrangement.

She was a few meters away from the section when some unidentified object suddenly appeared in front of her legs, causing her to trip up and flail like a baby chick for the rest of the distance. Turning around to see what tripped her, she found Sara staring squarely at her between the rows of blazers.

"Oops, sorry. Didn't see you there," she nonchalantly said, though her smirk betrayed the truth. So, the object in question was Sara's leg. How primary school of her.

"It's fine. Just watch where you're going next time," Jang-mi grit her teeth. The disdain between the two was palpable, but Jang-mi didn't seek to make it official. After all, she was the new employee, the scapegoat of the department. If she tried to raise hell between the two of them it was obvious which one would be sent packing. So she stayed quiet, only privately indulging in the thought of socking Sara square in the nose.

"Oh, that's okay. I'll try, but, you know. I'd think I'd have more awareness walking around this place, being here for so long and all."

"Yes, I'd think so too."

"Alright then, bye bye Jang-mi. See you after work?" she innocently said.

Shit. The group drinks. Ahri had told her that every few weeks, Sungmin took out the crew for a small hangout: drinks and bar snacks. Jang-mi wished she could decline, but both Sungmin and Ahri were adamant on her tagging along. Sara too, of course, but her reasoning seemed much less genuine than the others'.

Jang-mi sighed. "Yes, see you after work."

**

"Jang-mi, loosen up," Ahri prodded, sliding a shot across the table.

Jang-mi eyed the shot. "Is this not some workplace conduct violation?"

"Not when you're out just having a drink with friends, honey. Ignore Ahri, you don't have to drink if you don't want to," Sungmin said, playfully glancing at Jang-mi then Ahri. In her peripheral vision, Jang-mi could see Sara attempting a polite smile, which in her case seemed more sarcastic than nice.

"So, Jang-mi, how are you finding work so far?" Sara began. Of course she'd start pushing buttons immediately.

"It's good," she sighed. "But I keep finding random objects which somehow always happen to be in my direct path when I'm trying to walk somewhere, so hopefully the clothing hangers get updated to decrease the risk of me breaking my leg. Seems a little unsafe for a work environment, if you ask me," Jang-mi finished, mildly seething.