chapter 26

Somehow, you had managed to eliminate the man in the car without eating him alive.

You and Alastor headed into the inn, wearing fresh new clothes, although yours were baggy and all-too-large — they were a man's clothes, after all, but at least it was something.

You and Alastor had managed to split the clothing on the man's body in a way that both of you looked somewhat presentable — for instance, you took the man's button-down brown shirt, since yours was coated in blood, and kept your pants which only had a few obvious stains. Alastor took the man's trench coat, and buttoned it to where his clothing was not visible.

"Good evening, ma'am," said Alastor, leaning an elbow casually on the front desk. The woman behind the desk was chomping on bubble gum, begrudgingly putting her phone down to pay attention to Alastor.

"How many nights?" she practically groaned.

"Just one, my dear."

Your eye twitched.

"'Kay," she said plainly, tapping on the screen in front of her, her long acrylics clicking on the screen. She then rummaged in a drawer, pulling out a keychain. "Room two-fifty-one. It's the only one available at this time."

You definitely didn't believe her, considering there were like, what, four cars parked in the parking lot?

"There's one bed," she continued, flicking her hair out of her face. "Pay now or later?"

"Later, darling," Alastor answered her with a coy grin. Meanwhile, your brain was still stuck on her words. One... bed...?

Suddenly, you couldn't think straight.

"Cool," she said dryly. Then, when noticing you two lingering, gave you a dirty look with a shake of her head. You snatched the keys from her hand and scuttled off to the elevator, brain not working properly as you pressed the button.

One. Fucking. Bed. Could it get anymore fucking cliche?

You and Alastor entered the elevator, Alastor allowing you to enter first. You pressed the button to the second floor of the homey, country-style inn, feeling the elevator lurch as it lifted you up. You folded your arms over your chest and tried to ignore the fact that your face was on fire. Luckily for you, Alastor did not speak or mention the "one bed" predictment.

When finding the room, you slid the key into the hold and unlocked the door. You entered the room with Alastor behind you, inhaling the fresh, cotton-smelling air of the room. You sighed, although still feeling quite unnerved, and headed straight to the bathroom door, hand stopping on the handle.

You turned your head at the bathroom door as Alastor casually went over to the bed and laid down on it, crossing one leg over the other and placing his arms behind his head nonchalantly. He grinned widely, looking at you up and down. You clicked your tongue.

"I'm taking a shower first, if you don't mind."

"Fine by me, love."

"Great," you huffed, pushing the door open.

You stripped off your grimy clothes, looking at yourself in the abdonally large golden-framed mirror above the sink. The lighting in here was dim, but good, and it highlighted your curves on your naked body.

You gently touched the dried, flaking blood stains that had sunk into your clothes and onto your skin. You messed with the chunks for a bit, flicking them off as you thought to yourself.

It was difficult for you to fathom that Alastor had as much control over you as he did. You would never admit it, but he had managed to completely flip your sanity sideways and motivate you to kill again in cold blood — it frustrates you. Just when you had completely forgotten all for the murders you executed in life, Alastor brought it all back in nearly a day.