To love is to ache

*This song randomly came on in the early dreaming stages of this book, so I'll dedicate this song to this chapter because it just fits the sad vibes lol Mr. Loverman- Ricky Montgomery

*While publishing this chapter on here, however, I listened to two songs a lot, both of which I've mentioned before: Wildfire and Dim- both by SYML

*Keep in mind, this was all written in advance, I did not just randomly decide to be evil to you so don't think I made this kinda sad just cause

Jisung tapped the mug in front of him, head on Beth's dining table, appetite gone despite the cup of Beth's famous hot chocolate waiting for him. It was probably cold by now anyway. Just like everything else in his head.

Beth had left the kitchen to do something, but Jisung didn't even realize it. Nor did he care to realize it. Focusing on breathing was taking a toll on him enough as it was.

But then Beth's distant voice broke through the numb barrier hanging around his head. "Minho! Com on in, deary."

Jisung lifted his head, alert for the first time in days.

Minho's voice was nearly inaudible, but Jisung might as well have had super hearing. "No it's alright, Beth, I can't stay long. And, uh, I'm sure someone doesn't want to see me right now."

"He's just hurting, as I'm sure you are too."

"Beth always knows best, huh?"

"Always." Her voice was tight. "I wish you could stay with us, my dear. I really love ya."

Hearing Beth cry sent a sharp stab through Jisung's chest, but he felt glued to his chair, unable to move or think properly. But he was sure Minho was hugging her. That's just how Minho was.

"I love you too, Beth." His voice was more muffled.

Jisung's eyes dropped to the floor, biting the inside of his cheek to avoid crying more than he'd already done in the past few days. He'd already said his goodbyes to Minho. Right?

"You have my number and address, even if I don't know why."

Beth chuckled softly. "It's so that I can still send you gifts like a good grandma."

"You're already the best grandma."

"Oh, don't make me cry more." They shared a small laugh. Then, "Do be careful. Take care of yourself, promise me that?"

A brief silence. "I promise."

"That's my boy."

Jisung's chest was getting tight, though he wasn't completely sure why.

"Text me when you land safely, alright?"

"Yes ma'am." A soft jingle reached Jisung's ears. "Um, these are for Jisung. My car is no longer useful to me. Don't worry, I already took care of paperwork and everything. It's paid off and it's completely and officially his."

Jisung's breath caught, not only from the huge gesture, but from the fact that this was real. Minho was leaving. It wasn't just a bad dream. Move, Jisung!

"You are too good for this world, Lee Minho," Beth let out, clearly taking the keys. "Thank you."

A car horn sounded in the distance. "I'm afraid that's my cue to leave."

"One more hug."

A chuckle. "Of course, Beth."

Another few seconds.

"I love you."

"Minho, Jisung is in the kitchen, I can go get him."

"It's alright. I won't make him do anything. If he doesn't want to see me, that's okay. Just... tell him I'm sorry. Take care of him."