Chapter 2

Enchanted - Taylor Swift (Taylor's Version) 

ARIA

September 2022, Seattle

From afar, I discover Seattle University. It looms before me in several buildings. Lauren explains that hers - the Department of Medicine - is on the left, and mine - the Department of Literature - is on the right. The middle building contains the psychology and science classes, as I understand it. Lauren and I are not far from each other, and subconsciously this reassures me.

"Will you be all right?" asks Lauren, probably stressed about leaving me to face this first day alone.

Lauren knows me well, she knows that I'm a very anxious person. I don't know what the next few hours will be like : will I like the lessons? Will the teachers be nice? But the most important question, the one that tortures my mind, is : will I succeed?

"Yes, I'll be fine. You can go, you'll be late!" I replied to Lauren, almost pretending to be cheerful.

The truth is, I am. I'm happy to be here, but my brain is thinking way too much to leave my heart alone.

She gives me one last comforting smile and leaves for her next class, while I head for the place Lauren had previously indicated, the secretariat. I should be able to pick up my schedule there.

Obviously, I get lost. After circling the university for a good hour, I realize that I'd better ask someone for help. As I stare at the map of the university in my hands and as if heaven had heard my prayer, I feel a presence near me.

"Are you lost?" a voice asks me.

I raise my head and smile, as desperate as I am grateful. A man stands there, to my left, arms crossed behind his back with an amused look on his face.

"Yes! No matter how many times I turn this map upside down, I can't find the secretariat."

"Is this your first day here?" he asks me.

"Yes, is it that obvious?"

"As a matter of fact, it is. No one's used a college map in a very long time, and on top of that, I've been watching you spin around in circles for at least twenty minutes" he retorts with an amused look on his face.

My face turns crimson.

"Were you watching me?" I suddenly ask defensively.

"Yes, I was. I'm not very proud of it and I assure you I'm not going to see every girl that way," he begins, scratching the back of his head, "but, you seem lost, and I didn't know if I could help you or if I should help you so..."

"So, here you are" I complete.

"Here I am."

He smiles a lot. A silence settles in, yet erases all traces of discomfort. Finally, he laughs first and I follow him.

"I'm sorry," I began, moving to the bench beside me.

"Why," he sits down, "we've all been there. Me, the first time I arrived at campus, I got to the basketball gym when I was supposed to go to applied math class."

I turn to him with a look of "Are you pulling my leg?" to which he raises his eyebrows. Again, a laugh escapes me. Much to my surprise, I feel at ease. I don't necessarily want to move from this bench, like I thought so.

"What's your name again?" I ask, curious to put a name to his face. Sublime face, by the way.

"I'm Lewis."

"I'm enchanted to meet you, Lewis. I'm Aria."

***

In the end, I didn't get my schedule back until yesterday, late afternoon. Lewis and I chatted for two hours before I decided to switch to the secretariat and join Lauren at home with a big smile in my face.