Chapter 4

Devil Doesn't Bargain - Alec Benjamin

LEWIS

September 2022, Seattle

Maybe I should think before I talk to girls. It's not that I talk to many of them, but I met one recently, rather pleasantly, and I have to admit I'm not insensitive to her charm. Her eyes haunt me, while her flowery scent won't leave my mind.

"Dude, where are you right now? ", my teammate whispers loud enough for me to be the only one to hear.

Noah's voice brings me back down to earth, in the middle of the match that will qualify us for the next stage if we win today. As the coach repeats his half-time motivational speech, my thoughts drift back to the image of Aria. That girl I met in the university playground. I quickly realized she was new as she was holding a piece of paper and looking all around to find her way. I took the time to observe her before going to meet her, just to savor the perfect vision of this girl I had from the bench where I was sitting listening to Noah's fluent voice. I must admit I enjoyed watching her go round in circles, not because I liked the fact that she looked lost, but rather because she was drop-dead gorgeous. And I thought, "wow, how could the universe create such a beautiful woman?". I didn't look away from her figure. I'm sure all men must be after her. And then, finally, I went to see her, I talked to her. And I liked what I saw, what I heard. Far too much. Her voice was soft, like a melody, while her eyes floated over me like a cloud. My body tingled as if her words had touched me a little too closely.

Since then, it's been impossible to forget her face. That was three days ago, but it feels like years.

The whistle signaling the resumption of play filters my thoughts. All the players, myself included, rush out onto the pitch to try and win the game.

And we will win.

Ever since the game resumed, my heart has been racing. It flinches between my concentration on the game and my thoughts on Aria. I've got lots of questions, for her, but mostly for myself. Why can't I stop thinking about her?

I frown and force my mind to stay focused on the most decisive match of the season. The whole team gives it their all until I score the last basket, guaranteeing us victory.

The crowd in the stands roars and cheers loudly, while my team and I laugh out loud and let the pressure of the game subside. I find myself scanning the crowd to see if the beautiful Aria is present today. After all, it's a college game, so chances are she'll be here. Although, I don't think this is her kind of thing.

Unfortunately, I don't have time to linger in my search because Noah runs up to me and clings to my shoulders as he has done since we were kids.

"So, what's up with you? Your head's been elsewhere these days!"

"Sorry, I've got a lot on my mind right now."

"Is a little brunette among those things you have to think about?" he asked, playing with his eyebrows with laughing eyes.

I'm not totally surprised by this question. After all, I was with him when I appeared Aria in the courtyard. I literally abandoned him on the spot to go and meet her. Since I didn't answer, he continued.

"I guess I saw right! You're thinking about her, aren't you? Are you going to take your chance?"

"What makes you think so?", I reply, laughing.

But my answer has the effect of widening his smile. He gives me a meaningful look, silently pointing out the obvious. Of course, I want to take a chance on her. But I don't think I'm ready to say that out loud just yet.

"Funny, you've never been seriously interested in relationship, now a pretty girl comes along and you're all shook up. Call me if you want some advice"

"You? You're going to give me advice?"

This time, I laugh out loud, drawing several glances our way. Noah is the person least in line to give me sentimental advice. He's the one who keeps having one-night stands and will probably end up catching an STD with an illiterate child. The same Noah who offers me advice?

Okay, I really can't stop laughing. He scowls but keeps a smirk on his face.

"So, are you going to take a chance and trust her with your little heart or what? Get off your butt, and find her."

"Yeah, right, stop bullshitting and go play somewhere else, Noah."

He pats me on the shoulder and trots off in the direction of the cheerleading squad, which has gods only for him.

What a playboy.

I'm still giggling as I head for the men's locker room.

I think back to his last question, and I tell myself that maybe is right. In fact, I don't know. If I give her my heart, will she want to give me hers?

I've tried to ignore it, but no matter how hard I try to think of something other than her two ocean-blue eyes, I can't. Her angelic face haunts me by day and torments me by night. Is this the definition of love at first sight?

Above all, it's scary to realize that someone can have so much power over us without even realizing it. I'm afraid I'm going crazy. At the same time, I want more. I want to get to know her. I want to know every one of her secrets, every one of her torments. I want to know who she really is inside.

As I lay my basketball jersey on the changing room bench, I step into the shower. The scalding water that comes into contact with my skin immediately relaxes my numb muscles. Without my being able to control it, Aria's face appears in my thoughts.

Again.

I grit my teeth, annoyed by the memory. Nothing is real, and I want her in matter, in physics and in skin. I imagine how my body would feel in contact with her skin. Is she as soft as she looks? I hope to find out one day. I imagine running my hand through her hair. The memory of her round face, speckled with a few freckles and accompanied by a fine, slightly upturned nose, gives me more sensations than they should.

And her smile.

God, she's got a smile to die for. I'll never forget it.

My crotch awakens, animated by the madness of a floating reality. The vague face of an angel far too dangerous for me. I growl, frustrated. I hurriedly finish my shower and get dressed.

Noah's words echo in my mind.

All my life, I've focused on myself and my future. I try to do my best to make my parents proud of me. I've never thought about anything else. Sure, I've had adventures, but none have really lasted, mainly because I didn't feel like projecting myself into something more. I was always too focused on my professional success. But the idea of having someone to share moments with doesn't displease me as much as it used to. Maybe I will try with someone. Maybe with her. I don't know.

I don't know how to find Aria. I'll probably run into her on campus, but when? I have faith in fate. If I have to end up with her, maybe she'll stand in my way again. 

________________________________________________________________________________

Hello there!

I hope you liked this chapter !

It's his pov, so enjoy ! 

Feel free to post comments to give me your opinions, and vote, it helps!

Happy reading :)

With love, Laura 🌸