@anasianamateur

Hello fellow Wattpadders! Today we have with us, Gemma Young (anasianamateur), a Wattpad Creator, 2021 Watty Awards Winner, 2023 Watty Awards Shortlister and a writer of Wattpad Paid Stories.

I am Abhipreeti (_abhipreeti_) and I have interviewed Gemma Young.

Gemma Young is a Korean American coffee addict and Los Angeles native who hops between the practical world of the everyday and the impractical world of writing

The results tend to come out in realistic fiction that steal from not-so-realistic situations, packaged with Asian American narratives, tumultuous romances, piercing dialogue, and whatever newest obsession she has going at the time, whether it be cheesecake recipes or molecular chemistry. It's earned her a 2021 Science Fiction Watty, a 2023 Wattys shortlisting, a Paid Story, the title of a Wattpad Creator, and several features from Wattpad's Reading Radar to WattpadAsianFantasy's So You Want To Be Immortal? Anthology.

If she's not huddled in a corner typing to oblivion, she's busy writing poetry, playing guitar, or finding the next espresso-fueled daydream to make a story out of.

How would you describe yourself as a writer?

>>A word vomit extraordinaire, probably.

Once I have an idea in my head, I become a bit obsessive about it, and that obsession usually comes out in the stories I've written on Wattpad. A lot of thoughts, a lot of words, a lot of disjointed planning. I like to think I'm very good with organized chaos. As a writer, I think I'm a lot of ideas trying to become tangible.

What was your reaction or how did you feel when you were first invited to join the Wattpad Creators' Program? Did you ever expect to receive the invitation previously?

>>It was rather unreal to me, as a lot of my achievements on Wattpad have proved to be. I don't think I ever anticipated the growth I've had on Wattpad; I never thought I'd even finish one book. Being invited into the Creators' Program was a big honor, and an achievement I'm very proud of. It was a title I never even thought of receiving in my time on Wattpad.

Wattpad is a home to millions of users. As a result, it is only natural that every writer on this platform would like to receive reads, votes, comments, etc. and be recognized by Wattpad someday. What would be your advice to those writers?

>>I've gone between being very number-obsessed and being very number-neutral during my time on Wattpad. There are times where I become a bit insecure that I'm not as notable as other writers, which makes me a bit envious. I would always imagine what it would be like to be that recognizable.