@KaraCarreira

Hello fellow Wattpadders! Today we have with us, Kara Carreira (KaraCarreira), a Wattpad Creator, Wattys 2021 Winner in Historical Fiction, a 2022 and 2023 Wattys Shortlister, and a Wattpad Originals writer. Her works have been featured on Wattpad's homepage and across different ambassador and community-run accounts on the platform.

I am Abhipreeti (_abhipreeti_) and I have interviewed Kara Carreira.

Kara Carreira is the pen name of a twenty-something South African writer of fiction she fondly describes as romance badly disguised as fantasy

Kara Carreira is the pen name of a twenty-something South African writer of fiction she fondly describes as romance badly disguised as fantasy. She does sometimes wander into other genres, such as historical fiction, chicklit, mystery, and paranormal, with more to be explored in future works.

Kara is a Wattys 2021 winner in historical fiction and a 2022 and 2023 shortlister, a Wattpad Originals writer, and a Wattpad Creator. Her works have been featured on Wattpad's homepage and across different ambassador and community-run accounts on the platform.

When not writing, Kara can be found working out to the tune of new story ideas at the gym, enjoying sweet treats with her work friends, or browsing online for writing desks she can't afford. 

How would you describe yourself as a writer?

>>As a person, I am very meticulous (often to my detriment, as it slows me down in everything I do), and this carries over to my writing. I'm very detail-oriented, and I think that can be seen in my descriptions and even on my browser history!

I've slipped lately since graduating, leaving home, and starting to work full time, but I used to be quite a diligent and dedicated writer, maintaining a mostly predictable routine and finishing stories no matter how long they take, and I aspire to return to this (The Last Star has been stagnant on my profile for too long and demands to be written!).

I am imaginative, idealistic and romantic, and those who've read my works might be able to see that in the fantastical settings and passionate (often forbidden) romances I gravitate towards. I'm also quite flexible in the sense that I don't stick rigidly to my plot outline but follow the story wherever it goes.

What was your reaction or how did you feel when you were first invited to join the Wattpad Creators' Program? Did you ever expect to receive the invitation previously?

>>I was thrilled and quite surprised! The first thing I did was tell my brother the good news. Joining the Wattpad Creators Program sounded like an exciting opportunity to connect with other writers on Wattpad and level up my abilities with some really great resources, so I never had any doubt about accepting the invitation.