5

Mirana walks into the house, her conversation with Ryan the night before weighing heavy on her mind as she places her keys in the dish

Mirana walks into the house, her conversation with Ryan the night before weighing heavy on her mind as she places her keys in the dish. Kojo barks happily when he spots her, jumping up her as she strokes his head.

She spots Tim instantly, he's sat on the couch watching the news but he turns when the door closes behind her. Mirana can't stop the guilt in her chest when she spots the dark circles under his eyes.

"Mirana-"

"No, let me talk," Mirana says, dropping her bag on the floor before standing in front of Tim. "We're getting married and you deserve to know who you're getting married to. I've been a hustler since I was thirteen, I used to pickpocket to get by when I got placed in some bad foster homes. When I was sixteen, I worked at this convenience store and one of the managers was super handsy so I embezzled from the business and framed him for it so he went to prison and I kept the money for myself"

"What?" Tim asks his face one of shock.

"Oh the story's just getting started," Mirana says as she begins to pace. "I shoplifted a lot when I was a teenager. I found out I was pregnant at 17, almost 18, the father could have been Henry or the Captain of the High School Football Team, but I'm not quite sure on that front. I OD'd trying to get rid of the baby but Lucy found me, took me to a hospital and the baby lived. She was born at 24 weeks, I named her then I left the hospital and never visited her while she was in the NICU. I met her adoptive mother, Sally, who took her as soon as she was cleared to leave the hospital"

Mirana looks at Tim as she paces and his face is one of shock and hurt. Mirana kisses her teeth before she continues.

"Elina turns twelve in two weeks," Mirana says. "That's her name, Elina Corrine. She knows she's adopted and wants to meet me. I know that because I've stayed in contact with Sally since Elina was born"

"You kept all of this from me?" Tim asks.

"Hay mas," Mirana says and Tim's eyebrows rise.

"There's more?"

"So, on my eighteenth birthday, Henry wanted to celebrar but I'd had enough so le dispare con su escopeta," Mirana says and Tim's eyes widen. "He never went to the hospital or the police because then he'd have to cop to child abuse and paedophilia and a whole range of crimes. I guess he figured I'd get off with self-defence. Oh, the guy I framed? He found me and is threatening to tell you about how I framed him"

Tim sits in complete silence, his interlaced hands pressed against his mouth as he stares at Mirana in shock.

"If you want me to go, I'll go," Mirana says.

"Why?" Tim asks. "Why did you lie to me? Hide all of this from me?"

"Because you are the Principe Encantador that every little girl dreams about," Mirana says as she wrings her hands. "The one who sweeps you off your feet. Keeps you safe. But princesses get the prince and I am far from a princess. I couldn't even keep our baby alive"