Strawberry Banana| 1

Hospitals have become my new home for the last few days. My dad fell the other day fixing up the house and broke his leg. My mom is in Spain on a girl's trip and couldn't change her flight so right now, I am all he has. "I'll be right back, dad. I'm gonna grab a smoothie from the cafeteria."
"Okay, sweetheart. I'll be here. Can't move even if I wanted to."
I grabbed my wallet and headed down the bright hallway. Door after door, I swear I'd get lost if I worked here. The cafeteria was very busy but luckily only a small line was at the smoothie section. I suppose I also would prefer this over the tasteless food they serve the patients. "Can I have a strawberry banana smoothie please?" The cash register beeped and the timid girl behind the counter whispered my total. "$3.79 please." I smiled at her and handed her a $5 bill, telling her to keep the change. It always makes me wonder how people get to be in the same spot as you with such different circumstances. The man blending my smoothie was in his mid 20s. He could be blending a smoothie anywhere, but he was making mine. "Strawberry Banana Smoothie!" His voice cut my thoughts like a knife and I proceeded to walk to the counter. My hand brushed up against soft knuckles that were extended to a hand who was holding the same cup as me. Why would someone try to take my drink? That's so weird. "If you wanted a sip, you could've just asked." The voice lingered in my ears, a soft chuckle afterwards. I looked up to find disheveled, dark curls hanging over a scruffy face. "Oh. I ordered the strawberry banana smoothie. I'm sorry." I wanted to move my hand from the cup so that it could cover the redness of my cheeks, but I couldn't bring myself to let go. "Strawberry Banana Smoothie!" The smoothie man's words yet again knocked me out of my trance and I jumped back. "That one must be mine. Sorry again." I grabbed my drink and tried my best to hurry out of the cafeteria to mask any signs of fluster on my face. "I'm Joe, by the way!" He was almost yelling it as I was trying so hard to leave. I stopped in my tracks and faced him from across the room. "Lex. Nice to meet you."