Chapter 1 || The Compass Strikes (it doesn't actually) Again!

| | BOUND | |

"I see not the reason you have to savagely stab me with that disastrous weapon of yours Horikita. In fact, I find your possession of it quite troubling." My eyes wandered to where she held her compass in the form of a dagger, ready to pounce and strike me if provoked. In truth, I never do provoke her, she just takes things in a different way.

"I would never do something so cruel as stabbing someone Ayanokouji, you must have me mistaken for someone else, after all, such acts of violence could get me in some serious trouble." She gleefully smiled, poking the top of her weapon with her finger, testing the sharpness level of it before sleekly sliding it into the pocket she had the quickest access to. Despite the sharp edge of the compass, after a few minutes of being impaled by it, the mark quickly disappears from my skin and doesn't particularly hurt in any way shape or form so being stabbed doesn't mean I'm in critical danger or anything.

"Yes, perhaps I do have you mistaken as someone else, my apologies Horikita." I apologised to her and then proceeded to look out of the classroom window, admiring the scenery of the elite school campus.

It was a week after the island exam and zodiac exam and everyone seemed relaxed despite the fact that there would soon be more exams. Class D came out on top during the island exam, understandably, we hadn't advanced classes yet however, our living wage did differ a lot from that of before so when the time came around to get points deposited, everyone was extremely happy and all gave praise to Horikita who always seemed angered in receiving it. Of course, there's a reason behind that - the reason being me, for it was not her who excelled during the Island exam and won it for our class but it was me. Me who so selfishly handed over the achievements to Horikita because I did not want to be put in the spotlight or create a target on my back. Hence why she didn't enjoy the praise since the truth about the win was hidden with deceit and lies.

"Ayanokoji." She suddenly said my name with such determination that it almost scared me - key word: almost -, "Are you perhaps free tomorrow?" She asked me. You see, the quickest option would be to say no and that 'I have plans' but of course, she would not believe that seeing as she knows how friendless I am and how no one particularly spends time with me.

"I wouldn't say I'm busy." Alas, I went with an answer in between yes and no, "As a caution, I have to ask - if you are perhaps invited me on an outing - I would have the wrong idea to assume this is a food trap, correct?" I felt the slight glare she gave me, however, I did not falter in my asking of this serious question.

"It's bold of you to incorrectly assume that I'm only offering you to come on an outing with me because I want something from you, alas, you are mistaken. Is it wrong to want to go on an outing with a f-friend?" Some people who were listening to our conversation, a conversation that was not very hushed, had their jaws agape. If I could muster the courage to change my face, I too would have had my jaw dropped, after all, if my ears do not deceive me, I'm sure that Horikita Suzune just referred to me as a 'friend.'

"I suppose it's not wrong to want to go out with a friend Horikita, I'll accept you on the offer - seeing as I lack the means to refuse," I said, glancing at the compass that had returned to the hand of its owner, glinting in the sunlight.

"Lack the means?" She falsely smiled at me, caressing her weapon, after all, it's rare to see her genuinely smile, "You have every right to refuse my kind offer Ayanokoji."

"I gracefully accept your offer Horikita," I immediately responded, in a facade-like fear of my arm getting temporary holes instilled in it.

"That's nice to know." Once again, she sheathed her weapon, carefully sliding it back into her pocket, and earning a sigh of relief from my mouth.