two

instead of flying from her apartment in new york to monaco, she decides to fly straight to japan

instead of flying from her apartment in new york to monaco, she decides to fly straight to japan. she plans on spending her first days in tokyo and meeting up with charles and a few of her other friends. then she'll bother charles into letting her into the ferrari paddock during the race weekend so she can watch. easier said than done.

pierre tells her what hotel they're all staying in, but refuses to tell her charles room number because he apparently has a death wish. not that it matters because lando gives it to her without asking why, which is probably a concern she'll focus on later.

she's walking through the lobby, hands full of her bags and fresh coffee from a cafe around the street, when god decides that he hates her and she collides with someone while rounding the corner to the elevator.

the burn of coffee through her shirt is enough to make her slightly homicidal but the worst part is that, when she looks up from her spot on the ground, she bumped into none other than her least favorite dutchman. not that she knew many, but if she did, he would be at the bottom of the list.

neither of them get a word in before a little girl beside max speaks up

"oh my gosh maxie!! look what you did to the pretty lady!"

thankfully, the little girl spoke up because if she didn't, mayas not entirely sure she wouldn't have cursed the man out. but, newly intrigued with the fact that max is accompanied by a little girl, she takes a different route.

she pulls herself up and starts, "it's alright sweetie but thank you so much for standing up for me!" the little girl beams back up at her.

"and hello maxuel."

"that's not my name and you know it." the dutchman's face went from embarrassed to annoyed in .2 seconds. score!

"debatable. anyway who's the cutie?"

"thank you miss! i'm penelope but you can call me p like maxie does! wait, you know her maxie?"

the dutchman's feet start awkwardly stepping side to side as he answers,

"yeah um you know how i told you that i've known charlie since we were kids?" the little girl, penelope, shakes her head and max keeps talking.

"well, this is charlie's best friend maya"

"oh my gosh that's so cool and you are so pretty why are you charlie's bestfriend and not maxie's he's pretty cool well most of the time sometimes he's a little weird but it's okay because-"

the dutchman cuts her off, seemingly even more embarrassed than when he rudely spilt coffee all over maya, "p your rambling. anyway we have to go meet your mom alright, say bye to maya"

the little girl waves and max offers and awkward half smile as they walk out the building.

yet all that maya is thinking is

"since when did he have a child??"