Chapter 20

In the days after the family meeting, my brothers really did do a better job at not bringing their work home. While it still sometimes came up, the topic was quickly changed and I was so thankful for it, I really couldn't take much more. Thankfully, my brothers stayed my brothers, being overly protective and checking on me constantly.

Everything was finally getting better, I could walk again, my teeth stopped aching all the time, and I  hadn't had any appointments. That was until Mitchell walked into my room.

"Hey Cam, how are you doing?" He asked, poking his head into my room before walking into it fully.

"I'm okay," I said, looking up from my phone. "What's up?"

"I just came to check on you, and let you know that your dentist appointment with Anton is this afternoon," he said.

"What the fuck, no. I'm not going." I said, sitting upright. Mitchell sighed.

"Cam, please don't make this a big deal. It's just a checkup and cleaning, you've had them a million times, you will be okay. Plus, it's Anton, your favorite." He said, moving to sit on my bed next to me.

"You can't just spring this on me, Mitch. I need time."

"I know you do Cameron, but it is on the family calendar. We've just refrained from talking about it as to not stress you out." He said.

"I can't, I really can't." I said, breathing heavily. "Please don't make me."

"Cameron. It will be okay. You and Ty will leave in a few hours." Mitchell said, before giving me a hug and walking out of my room.

I stayed in my bed for who knows how long, before I became overwhelmed. I had never seen Anton as a dentist before, and as much as I hated it, I was scared.

Fear is a funny thing, I know it's irrational, I know it's stupid, but once I'm in the chair my instincts kick in and I want to flee. My breathing was picking up but then Tyler walked into my room and immediately came over to me.

"Cam, sweets, what's wrong?" He asked. "Is it your appointment?"

I nodded, tucking my chin into my chest to try to calm down. 

"Deep breaths Cam, just like that. You're doing great." He said as my breathing slowly returned to normal.

"Please don't make me." I whimpered, clinging to him.

"Cameron, it is what's best for you. I promise I will be there the whole time. Now, we've got to get going, don't want to be late do we?" He asked, standing up. I shook my head and rose to my feet, slowly following Tyler out to the car.

As we drove towards Anton's office I could feel myself getting more anxious, but I kept myself as calm as possible as I followed Tyler into the building as he navigated towards Anton's office.

Tyler checked me in and we walked back into one of the exam rooms, seeing Anton waiting for us.

"Cam, Ty! It's good to see you guys again." Anton said with a smile, briefly hugging Tyler before sending me a warm smile.

"Are you ready, Cam?" He asked me, and I shook my head.

"That's okay, we have plenty of time." He said. "What's stressing you out the most at the moment?"

"Everything. " I whispered. "I'm just overwhelmed."

"That's alright, if we give you a few minutes to get adjusted would that help?" Anton asked, and I nodded. 

Anton shot me a warm smile before starting up a conversation with Tyler about something random. After a few minutes I was feeling better, and made eye contact with Anton.