Chapter 7

I turned into Charlie, hiding my face from Matt. Charlie rubbed my back, comforting me. "You tore your ACL and your MCL, Cam." Matt said, and I felt tears on my face. Charlie wiped my face, and held me in his arms. He rocked me back and forth, calming me down. Then Matt kept talking. "You're gonna need surgery Cam. It'll probably happen in the next couple days. After that, you're gonna need physical therapy and need to take it easy on your knee for at least 6 months." Matt said. I started sobbing into Charlie. This meant that I wouldn't be able to play sports for a long time. Charlie hugged me, and Matt kept talking. "You're gonna stay in the hospital for about a week, and after that you can continue your exercises at home. I'm sure Nathan can help you with that. You'll keep coming back to the hospital for physical therapy, and after around 6 months, you'll be as good as new." He said. "I'm going to put a brace on your knee Cam, you'll get changed into a gown, which you should have done earlier, and I'm gonna have to put and IV in." Matt said, and I leaning into Charlie. Matt grabbed the knee brace he had, and positioned it on my knee, with minimal pain. Then Matt handed me a gown, and left the room. "I don't wanna wear that." I complained to Charlie. "Cam you gotta put it on. It just makes everything easier." Charlie said. I refused, and Charlie looked frustrated. "I know you're scared Cam, but you have to listen to Matt. Please just cooperate with him." He said. I shook my head, and Charlie groaned. Then he got up and started walking away. "Charlie where are you going?" I yelled. He didn't turn around, and kept walking. "Fine, I'll get changed, but don't leave!" I cried out. Charlie turned around, and came back to me. He hugged me, and helped me get changed. I was able to get my top off on my own, but Charlie had to help me with my pants, because of my knee. Then Charlie went to go get Matt. Matt and Charlie came into the room again, and Charlie sat down beside me. "Cam I'm putting in an IV in now." Matt said. He grabbed an IV kit, and grabbed my arm, but I wouldn't let him. I pulled my arm back towards me, and tried to get out of Charlie's grip. Charlie sighed, and tightened his grip on me. "Can you gotta let him do this." Charlie said. "He can give you pain killers." I was tempted, but I kept my arm close to my body. Charlie groaned, and stood up. "I'll be right back Cam. Don't do anything." Charlie said, and he left the room. I backed away from Matt, who was still holding the needle. I was on the edge of the bed when Charlie came back, and he brought Kade with him. Charlie moved me back to where I was before, and hugged me, holding my arm. Kade grabbed my arm, pulling it towards Matt. I freaked out, and started thrashing around, but Charlie kept a good grip on my arm. "Cam please, stay still." Charlie whispered to me. I slowly stopped moving, but I was still terrified. Matt grabbed my hand, and looked for a vein. "Cam, for this part you have to stay really still. If I can't get a vein in your hand, I'll have to go to your arm." Matt said. I closed my eyes, turning into Charlie, who hugged me. Matt cleaned my hand, and slid the needle into my vein, which caused me to start crying. Charlie rocked me back and forth. "It's all done Cam." Charlie said. "Matt's just going to give you some fluids and pain killers." He said. I nodded, and leaned into him. Charlie's phone buzzed in his pocket, and he took it out. "Gabe and them are coming soon." Charlie said. "Cam we'll move you to a different room soon. You can do whatever you want, just don't move your leg to much, ask Charlie for help if you need to go the the bathroom." Matt said. He handed me the remote for the TV, and left the room. I turned the TV on, and started watching cartoons, with Charlie beside me. About an hour later, a nurse came and brought me to another room. Charlie put my stuff down, and layer down next to me. I cuddled into him, and later fell asleep.
When I awoke, I could hear more people in the room. Charlie was still next to me, but he was awake. I opened my eyes, and saw the rest of my brothers standing in the small room. "Why are you all here?" I asked them. "Because we were worried about you." Gabe said, smiling at me. I smiled at them, knowing they all cared about me. "Matt told me your surgery had been scheduled for tomorrow morning." Charlie said to me. I tensed up, but Charlie hugged me. "You'll be fine Cam." He said. "You'll be playing sports in no time." He smiled at me, before standing up. "Gabe can I talk to you?" Charlie said, motioning towards the door. Gabe nodded, and they both exited the room. The rest of my brothers crowded around, my bed, and Tyler laid next to me. "How did you even fall down the stairs Cam?" He asked me. I shrugged. "I guess that means no more hockey for a while then." Tyler said, and I groaned. He laughed, and hugged me. "You'll be fine Cam." Nathan said. "If you complete the exercises, you'll be back to sports in maybe seven months." He said. Then Charlie and Gabe entered the room again, looking serious, but smiling when they saw me looking at them. The rest of the day, my brothers kept me entertained and laughing at them, by doing the stupidest things. Only when a nurse kicked them out because visiting hours were over, did they leave. Charlie stayed with me, sleeping in the chair next to my bed. I was trying to get comfortable in the unconscious bed, and Charlie saw my frustration. He laughed, and I glared at him. "Do you wanna switch spots?" I asked him, and he chuckled. "I don't think you wanna sleep in a chair Cam." He said. "Anything would be better that this bed." I groaned. "Also I think Matt would kill me if you slept in the chair." He said. "Fine." I said with a huff. Then I glared at the needle in my hand. Charlie noticed, and walked over to me, grabbing my hand. He gently ran his thumb over the skin around the IV, making the pinching sensation go away. "Better?" He asked. "How did you know?" I asked him. "Believe it or not Cam, I deal with patients who hate IVs almost every day." He said smirking. I stuck my tongue out at him, and tried to go to sleep, eventually succeeding.
Ideas?