chapter 8

Walter POV

For the past two days Henry didn't come over to Walter's room. He didn't reply to Walter's messages and they also didn't go to dinner together as they usually do.

Henry seemed to be avoiding Walter because he also barely talked to him.
Their situation was hard, especially for Walter because he still didn't know why Henry broke up with him.
If that was even the right word for what Henry did, they were never officially together. But Walter wished he gave him an explanation though.

Time was passing so slowly. Walter was sitting on his bead, slightly leaning his head against the wall. He had been crying all day, same as yesterday and the day before.
Everything that happened between him and Henry hurt so bad that he couldn't go anywhere, so he was skipping school for the third day now.

He didn't care that the teachers were probably wondering where he was or that his classmates were always asking him why he wasn't at breakfast or lunch.
Walter just wanted to disappear.

Also the thought of his family and that he had to spend the Christmas break with Henry let him feel even worse.

He felt his eyes tearing up again. His hands were shaking but his body and mind just felt numb.

Then there was a knock on the door.

"Walter?" It was Alexander. "Are you still in there? Is everything okay?"

Walter quickly wiped away his tears and opened the door, but only a small gab.

"Hey Alexander...Yes, I'm fine." Walter lied.
"But why are you not coming to school then? And you also don't look like you're okay." Alexander noticed.
"No really, I'm fine." Walter lied again. "I was just very exhausted the past days."
"Oh okay. But are you coming to dinner now? I wanted to pick you up, everyone is wondering where you are. The others seem pretty worried about you too." Alexander said.

The others. Did that include Henry too? Was he worried about him? Or was it just something stupid Walter imagined?

"Also, I miss you and Wilhelm misses you too." Alexander added.
"Okay fine, I'm coming to dinner." Walter said but he wasn't sure if that was a good idea.

He and Alexander walked down the hallway to the dining room.
When they entered the room all of the 1st graders turned around and looked at them.
Walter's eyes searched for Henry's. He saw Wilhelm, Simon, some other 1st graders he usually didn't talk much to until...

His eyes met Henry's.

Henry looked at him with a serious look but Walter could also see some kind of sadness in his eyes.

"Let's take a seat." Alexander said and sat down next to Wilhelm.

The only seat that was left now was the seat next to Henry.
Maybe that was the chance for Walter to talk to Henry.
He sat down but Henry quickly turned his head away from him. It seemed like that he definitely didn't want to talk to him. But Walter didn't give up. Even if Henry didn't want to be with him and they could never be together, it was very important to Walter to at least save their friendship.

"Hey..." Walter tried to start a conversation but he wasn't sure if Henry even heard him since his voice was very quiet and also a little bit raspy from crying.
"Oh, hey..." Henry replied but didn't turn his head to face Walter.