How to write a character with dissociative identity disorder

DID is a trauma based disorder. You can't write a character saying they have DID without addressing that, at least to a certain extent. Be very mindful with the amount of detail you put into writing their trauma and how that might affect certain readers.

Don't be insensitive when you write about real disorders as it can severely affect those who suffer from the disorder. The trauma which causes DID is normally repeated trauma from early childhood. (1-10 years.)

The child will then dissociate from the pain caused by trauma, and the memories of their experience. They would substitute these feelings with a different identity that isn't consciously created.

"It's generally advised against an individual author to write plural characters, especially those with DID. If you do, you would need to accept that it's impossible to get the character 100% right no matter how much research you do. Society suggests asking someone with DID who is comfortable to answer your questions, and maybe explain your ideas to them so they could help. Remember that everyone who has DID is equal to those who don't."

Two or more distinct identity/personality states which are present, each with its own thinking and perceiving relative to themselves and the environment around them. This mindset is compulsory when creating multiple separate characters.

Separate, different characters either influence each other or completely take over. There can absolutely be a shared headspace they converse in, but remember not all personalities are available at once.

Amnesia must occur, defined as gaps in the recall of everyday events, important personal information and/or traumatic events. Dissociative amnesia is when memories are either missing or when memories are difficult to recall.

The character must be distressed by the disorder or have trouble functioning in one or more major life areas as a result of the disorder. This fits in with the criteria for most mental disorders.

DID is NOT an accessory. It is a lifelong affecting disorder which constantly affects the characters ability to think or function in certain situations, possible for the entire novel.

Most people with DID are quite good at hiding it. If you aren't writing from the perspective of a person with DID, the other characters are highly unlikely to notice they even have it. They may notice a few symptoms, but nothing major until they are told.

People with DID have 5-7 comorbid diagnoses on average. This includes PTSD, anxiety, depression, etc. Mental illnesses affect someone all the time, not when it's just convenient for the plot.

Make sure to include:
    •    Their pronouns
    •    Their genders
    •    Their ages
    •    Their sexualities
    •    Their names
    •    How they look/act

You can't always identify when someone switches personality, but there might be the slightest clue that gives it away. (Shifting, eye twitch, etc.)

When the character switches personality, remember that their voice or facial expression may shift as well. Their whole outfit may not change, but perhaps a minor piece of clothing. The same thing goes for the intentions of the personalities. Don't write about an evil alter who wants to take over the world and destroy everything, but just a simple disagreement.

Once again, please be sensitive. Be responsible for your work and don't make it disrespectful. There may be people with DID who are willing to read your material and provide feedback to help ensure your work is completely respectful.