Sad ways to end a story

1    The endless abyss: the story concludes with the protagonist falling into an endless abyss of nothingness, where they contemplate their own insignificance and the futility of their life struggles.

    2    The twist of fate: just when the protagonist thinks they've escaped their tormentor, they realize they've been hallucinating the entire time and the true horror is yet to unfold (most likely sequel).

    3    Haunted forever: even after the solution, the protagonist realizes they'll forever be haunted by the horrors they've witnessed/encountered. That they'll never be able to escape the trauma that follows them wherever they go.

    4    The cycle continues: the story ends with the horrifying revelation that the events that unfolded were just one iteration of an endless cycle, doomed to repeat for eternity with absolutely no hope for escape.

    5    The final sacrifice: in a desperate bid to survive, the protagonist makes the ultimate choice but later realizes that their actions not only affect themselves, but every single person they trust and love.

    6    Unthinkable betrayal: the character they trusted the most turns out to be the true antagonist, leading top a gruesome betrayal and a horrifying demise.

    7    Eternal torment: the protagonist comes to a terrible realization that death is not an escape, but the start of an endless cycle of constant torture and suffering.

    8    Fate worse than death: instead of dying and ending their life of suffering, the protagonist is condemned to a fate worse than death. A life of being trapped in constant and eternal suffering, truly a nightmarish existence.

    9    Inescapable doom: despite all the efforts to change their fate, the protagonist realizes that their destiny was sealed from the beginning, and there is no escape from the impending doom that awaits them.

    10    The unthinkable revelation: the protagonist uncovers a shocking truth about their own identity, leading to a horrifying realization that shatters everything they once believed in.