6 - ROCKSTARS (1976)

CHRISSY: It was maybe.. Two months later? Maybe a little longer. I don't know. Lewis left and I'd call but I never got further than his mom.

WARREN: Those times weren't actually that bad. Campbell was finally gone, Christine was.. Letting loose. The band was doing.. Okay.. It wasn't actually the best. We were nearing the end of recording Aurora. Fun times, a little hazy, good music, good drugs, decent parties, hot chicks.. Not to mention, there was nothing in between me and Chris. Except, y'know, a 40 year old rockstar.

EDDIE: Things sort of cranked up a level in that next period of time. We were almost done with the album, there was a ton of press that only cared about Daisy and Billy, there were tons of fans crowding everywhere we went, who also only cared about Daisy and Billy, and we had one groupie. Who was only interested in Warren. But, we were going on tour soon!.. So hopefully that'd liven things up, right?..

It was about 6am. Christine sluggishly wandered out onto the porch. She was holding a cup of black coffee and used it to wash down some pills. She had a thin white tank top on, with some little pajama shorts. Her hair was knotted and her makeup from the night before was smudged on her face. "Buenos días mi hermosa.." Warren jokingly greeted her. He was already sitting out there smoking a blunt, on a little swinging bench. He was wearing a hoodie on top of his pajamas, which were just his sweatpants. "I have the worst headache." She sat down beside him, putting her legs up on the bench and leaning on him. "You're hungover. You need water." He handed her the blunt. "Are you not cold?" He put his arm around her. "No, but I need a beer." She took a hit then handed the joint back to him.

There was a moment of comfortable silence. It had been a while since either of them were up early enough to enjoy the morning. The cool breeze on their faces, the birds chirping. The gentle rumble of cars down in the city as people went to work in their little office cubicles. The smell of grass floating through the air.. It was so peaceful.

"How have you been, Chris?" Warren broke the flow of dead air. "Why do you ask?" She replied. It isn't that she was trying to avoid the question or anything like that, it just seemed out of the blue, and she was curious. He shrugged, with a slight mumble of a 'no'. "We haven't talked in a while." He took a pull. "We talked just yesterday." She sort of snorted. "Well, yeah. But.. not really.. You were a total space cadet then, We haven't gotten a chance to talk while you're clear headed." He smiled softly, trying to keep the conversation from turning into an argument. "Don't get your hopes up.." she sighed, reaching for the joint. Warren never placed it back in her hand, but instead took more for himself. "Black beauties?" "Mhm."

WARREN: I wasn't trying to control her, the way Campbell had been. But I'd seen how substances affected people. How they'd affected Billy, how they were affecting Daisy, how it affected y'know, other celebrities we'd grown up with. Parsons, Morrison, Joplin, Hendrix, hell, even Judy Garland. We didn't know a lot about addiction given the time period, but it was obvious that Chris was starting to spiral. I didn't want to lose her over something that to me seemed so controllable. Obviously, I was using a ton too. But it wasn't at all on her level. We were all on something. But she was on everything.

"Well, I've been.. Good." Chris smiled, pulling out a little mini bottle of who knows what liquor and adding it to her coffee. "Don't you think it's a little too early for day drinking?" Warren played the comment off as a joke. "It's 5 o'clock somewhere." She shrugged, tucking the bottle back into her waistband. "Yeah, in Moscow. Does it look like we are in Moscow?" He reached around and grabbed the mug out of her hand with a small chuckle. "Hey!" She groaned as she sat up to grab the mug back. Warren had already set it on the little table about a foot away from the edge of the bench where he sat, so it was just barely out of reach of Chrissy. "You need water." He repeated with a smile on his face. "You're no fun." Christine sighed as she laid back down. "You think that's healthy?" "Fun things aren't supposed to be healthy." She cleared her throat and laid back down. Warren handed her the joint and they sat in comfortable high silence for the next at least 20 minutes.