Chapter 11 - Edited

The Journey Plans

It was almost 4 in the morning, but Magna was wearing her usual business suit and was more awake than anyone else. Elaine walked into the living room first, followed by Caliope and Amra holding hands. Pronab left to his apartment a few floors below.

"There is a reason why I live in a tall building, Caliope... I don't like creatures crawling up my window..." Elaine flaunted a smile at Caliope, then looked at her loyal assistant. "Magna, is everything ready?"

"Yes Madame, the guest's room is ready... how long will Miss Woodward be staying?"

"Indefinitely" said Amra without even looking at her.

Magna was visibly not happy, but she nodded and picked up Elaine's bag, then offered to lead Caliope to her room. Amra just shook his head and stood between them. "Thank you for your kindness but I will take care of her now... Mag."

"I told you not to call me that..." She grumpily replied.

"And I told you both to stop acting like children... Magna, thank you, let's get things ready to go to work earlier today, I don't feel like resting, and we better take care of business" Elaine's voice raised above theirs.
"Yes Madame, I will have everything ready for you. Coffee?"

"Yes please."

As Magna disappeared into the next room, Caliope turned to Elaine and asked nervously. "Does Magna know what you are?"

"She does, she is very valuable to me Caliope, she is a fallen Angel, bound to my service, and has been with me over 50 years..."

"Ah... and that is why she doesn't like Amra?"

"She doesn't like him much, it's true, and I am sorry, but they need to stay far from each other in order to be in peace, Amrafel please, don't provoke her like that."

"I do not care... much... just keep her far from me..."

"Funny... I hired Caliope for that..." Elaine finished with a chuckle.

Caliope sighed and nodded, she understood why Magna was important to her. The reason why Magna respected Elaine so much and not Amra was still unknown for her but they worked well together. Amra lifted her chin to make her look at him, she smiled shyly and quickly relaxed. The tall building, surrounded by steel and glass, made her feel safer. Being with her Angel made her feel she had nothing to fear.

Amra took her to the guest's room; soft lights made her feel calm. Caliope put her small bag on top of one of the chairs and sat on the edge of the bed. Amra kneeled next to her and rubbed her hands with his.

"Don't worry about anything, we will take this slowly... now rest some, I already have stolen too many hours of your precious sleep..."

"I am supposed to come to work in a few hours..."

"There is no need, I won't be too far, just rest, and I will see you when you wake up..."

Caliope was in no position to argue, she was visibly tired, and the bed was so comfortable it drew her to rest. Amra kissed the top of her head and walked out, closing the door behind him. She glimpsed around the room then crawled to the center of the bed, nodding off.

Her dreams were chaotic with wars, darkness, and crawling creatures searching for her. When she opened her eyes she was sweating and agitated, she sat on her bed, gasping and regaining control.

"I should have prevented that, I am sorry..."

Caliope searched around the room and found Elaine sitting in a corner. She was looking at her with sadness in her eyes.