Chapter 17 - Edited

Taking time to Breath

'Pity... that is what she wants you to feel for her... feel sorry for her, run to her rescue... do not fall for it... she is a dangerous creature...'

Amra's words echoed in Caliope's head as he spoke to her mind while watching the girl whimper with the chains embracing her. Buer watched uncomfortable the scene as the girl continued to twist in pain on the chair.

"I don't need to see this... you said I was going to be released, are you failing to your word?!"

"No, we aren't failing to our word; you will be released, soon."

Caliope closed her eyes and that terrible pain she was feeling in her heart from the scene she was witnessing slowly started to go away. Yet in the darkness, she was able to still hear. More whimpers, even screams, pain and tears.

This was not her world; this was a new world, filled with darkness, deceit, and treason. She tried to remember the last time something normal happened to her, something that was not related to a heavenly power. She remembered her day out at Central Park with Vanessa and she smiled. 'Yes, that was completely natural and pleasant, I wonder how she is, and I might need to give her a call' She thought at the same time she was taking mental notes.

A scream pulled her out of the memories; she squeezed her eyes tighter, determined not to see any of the tortures they might be doing to the girl. More memories were what she needed. This time, she tried to remember simply something that made her happy, and she became flooded with images of Amra. The night she was crying desperate and alone, not understanding why she was missing him so much when they barely knew each other, and him coming to her, holding her, and revealing to her what was before unexplainable, he couldn't be without her, and the feeling was mutual. Their first kiss, feeling powerless to what her body felt when he touched her face. She felt her heart pace faster as she blushed.

"Wake up my Asteria... please... wake up..."

Caliope heard Amra's voice inside her head and out, he was speaking to her out loud, asking her to wake up, but she wasn't asleep, was she?

"Caly! Come back to me!"

This time, it sounded so strong she opened her eyes and found Amra kneeled next to her with sorrow. He was worried, in pain, suffering. She rubbed her eyes and noticed she was on the floor. How did she get there? She was sweating and her sight blurred.

"I am here... what... what happened?"

"I still do not know, but you had me scared!"

"We have to move now, this place isn't safe anymore." Pronab's words were clear.

"Safe? I don't understand..."

"Take my hand, get up slowly, we are leaving the residence to a safer place. I will explain to you on the way, I promise." Amra said calmly.

Caliope took his hand and started to get up when she felt how everything around was spinning. No, not everything, her head was spinning. She closed her eyes and felt a sharp pain drill her head as everything moved and she could not get any balance on her body.

"I will carry you, my love..."

His words made her feel some relief, he took her in his arms and she could notice they were moving. She held herself tight to him with all her strength as they rushed, while she was trying to understand what had happened. She had her eyes closed and distracted her mind from the torture that was being held in the room. That poor girl kept crying, moaning, and she worked her best to think of other things to avoid the scene. Good memories that made her in fact, forget momentarily what was happening. But then she was on the floor being asked to wake up by Amra, and chaos was all around them.

"The car is waiting for us, they will take us to the house and Heptanius will join with his crew" she heard Pronab said.

What could have happened that made them all scattered and afraid? Slowly Caliope started to open her eyes and feel as she was recovering the sense of directionality and stability on her body. They were heading out of the residence and many others were going in different directions in silent yet in a rush.

"You know you have to start being more careful with your powers around her, she is still half human, and might not survive if you make full use of your powers..."

"I am going to change that soon."

"I hope you know what you are doing..."

That made Caliope focus her attention. And now she had an idea of what had happened. Amra's powers made something that changed everything. They were scared, afraid, avoiding him. It was a silent chaos and she was unsure of how it happen.

Once outside, they got in the car and Sarah took them towards the house. Amra kept an arm around Caliope who was resting on his lap with her head on his shoulder. She pulled apart to look at him.

"Are you going to explain to me what happened?"

"I will, just not now."

She frowned and looked at Pronab who was worried and avoiding her eyes. "Will you please tell me what happened?"

He looked at her then shook his head, turning his eyes to the window. Only then she heard Amra speak in her mind.

'I will talk to you as promised, I will let you know all, with details, but not here, not now, when we have people who don't know about us, and who we do not fully trust.'

Caliope nodded and blushed; of course, they did not know much about them, and the last treason act made all aware that the people least expected could be traitors. She snuggled back in his arms and continued in silence the rest of the road ride.

Once they arrived at the house, Heptanius was already there with his entourage. Howard had just arrived as well and got together with Pronab, who ordered Sarah to leave and then guided the rest inside, while Amra took Caliope's hand and walked with her to the garden.