Chapter 43

"Unsettling Feeling"

After some knocks on the door, she opened her eyes wide, waking up. Looking at the window she realized it was still the morning, or perhaps the afternoon, so she couldn't have slept too long. Another few knocks on the door but she was not replying, she was searching for Amra, and he was nowhere to be found. A more insistent set of knocks on the doors made her take a deep breath and whispered a welcome. The doors opened and there was Amra with a large plate filled with different kinds of food. She smiled wide and sat on the bed.

"I was looking for you..."

"I am trying to play the traditional husband role... how am I doing so far?"

"Hmm... it will depend on what you bring on the plate..."

He smiled and sat next to her, resting the plate carefully. She looked at the content and felt her tummy growl. "When was the last time you ate?" Amra frowned.

"I think... yesterday... yes, at our dinner..."

"Too long, you need to eat some more..."

Caliope smiled "I love you..."

He leaned to kiss her and whispered "I love you" back.

---***---

The living room was empty of people besides Maxwell, Pronab and Vanessa who was at the phone. She was quietly waiting for some responses after she requested a few more days off.

"I understand Sir, I just need a couple more days... I promise I will work double time when I get back..."

Maxwell frowned and shook his head, Pronab leaned close to him and whispered a few words before he extended his hand and asked Vanessa for the phone. She looked hesitant at first, but the look in his eyes was filled with determination, so she gave up and passed the phone.

"Hello, am I talking to the direct boss of the lovely Lady Vanessa?"

Vanessa felt nervous but after giving a look at Pronab, her nervousness transformed into curiosity. He was smirking.

"I was hoping it would not come to this but, since I sense you are not giving her the time she needs...... who am I? I am Sir Maxwell Caldwell. I am assisting her into acquiesce a rare collection she wished to surprise you with. Some old rare books from the 18th Century...... Yes, that is correct...... Good, I am glad you understand now...... I do not know how long it will take, but she might convince me to give her my private collection if she keeps being so good at her job...... Thank you. I will have my people make a first delivery to your office with a present for your good predisposition."

He handed back the phone at Vanessa who was almost too shocked to continue speaking. She nodded and said just a few more words to her boss before hanging up.

"For the moment I am staying at his residence, the Caldwell Abbey...... Thank you Sir...... I will be in touch. Bye."

"That should give you enough time for whatever else you wish to do here..."

"Thank you Maxwell, I mean, Sir Maxwell..."

He shook his head. "You can still call me Maxwell, nothing has changed..."

"I will make the best of the time here to find those promised books for him, for a start..."

Pronab chuckled "There is no need."

"What do you mean?"

Maxwell grinned "I have the books, I will just give them to you, unless you want to acquire even more..."