The New Light of Day

Fantastic 5 | The Storm is Rising | The New Light of Day

The party was in full swing by near midnight; people were dancing to the music, swaying with they're partners and gulping various alcohols down they're throats. The party itself was situated on a boat, the slight rumble that ran through the floor was the engine drifting them over the sea.

By this point June had already chugged down at least two shots to calm her nerves – there was something about the sea now that unsettled her. When it came to using her powers, she was completely fine and calm – but when it came to being in close proximity of the salty liquid, it just unnerved her deeply. And, being on this party boat wasn't making her fears feel better.

June stood next to Sue at the bar; they had finally been given the chance to meet the one who's been swooning over Ben. The blonde and brunette really liked her – Alisha Masters was her name. She was an African America; blinded in both her eyes because of an accident in her childhood. She was very skilled in seeing without her vision; that was the one thing that astounded both women. And they couldn't help but think; Ben really has found the one. June could see the evident chemistry between them. Debra never deserved someone as good as Ben; and that was confirmed when the woman left him immediately after his changed appearance. If you really loved someone, you couldn't walk away.

The bartender leaned against the counter, "Want another, sweethearts?" Glancing between the three lovely ladies in front of him. As far as he was concerned; they were the only pretty women on this boat.

Alisha let out a small giggle, feeling slightly intoxicated but still clear headed. Two shots were enough for her. "I don't think so, thanks."

Sue glanced at June before turning to the bartender, "We'll just have a glass of champagne each, thank you."

He nodded, "Sure, thing." Pouring two glasses of the best champagne he had behind the counter. Placing the glasses in front of the blonde and brunette before moving away to attend with other customers waiting for a drink or two.

June picked up her glass, taking a sip when suddenly arms wrapped around her waist, startling her slightly. A head leant into her neck, her back leaning against their chest, "Having a good time?" The familiar voice of Johnny spoke into her ear. He had a beer in his hand not even half-way through. They never noticed Sue and Alisha slip away to see their own men.

Her eyes flickered outside the glass pained door, the water was clear as day even though night had already fallen. "Sure, yeah." Trying to be convincing. The party would be better if it wasn't on the sea.

Johnny raised an eyebrow, seeing the lie. "You're lying – what's up?" He questioned, concerned. June loved parties from what he could remember and this was the first time they've been to a party together since they broke up – but partying was something that's a part of her, something he didn't think would slip away that easily.

"The sky." She retorted playfully, trying to pass off on the subject. She had been keeping it all to herself, even though she had become close to Johnny once again. It felt stupid to be afraid of the water, especially when her powers were all to do with the very same substance.

"June." He pressed, not pushing away from the subject.

June sighed, moving to sit on one of the bar stools, gazing around to everyone having fun as she spoke. "The party itself is great, it's just..." She paused, her sight looking at the water again. Her shoulders slumped in defeat, there was no keeping this to herself now. "Johnny, I can't remember much of what happened." Speaking from when everything finished with Victor Von Doom; about her short disappearance. She shrugged, "All I can remember is being in that ocean ... drowning. I couldn't breathe, I couldn't scream for help – there was just darkness." She gave a short unamused laugh, "I can't even remember how I even survived Victor electrocuting me. I should have died from that ..." Shaking her head slightly, "...I could have been for all I know. But, all I know is that I'm scared of the water and I don't really know why." A tear fell down her cheek, she looked down in shame at the prospect of her fear.