Tests

Fantastic 5 | The Storm is Rising | Tests

June sat on a single chair in front of Reed and Sue - the experimentation equipment and clipboards all at the ready. It was her turn to first test out the new abilities, "Okay," Reed murmured, twisting around to her from his swivel chair, "Now, from what we know – your power is pretty much the manipulation of water?"

June nodded, pursing her lips, "Yeah, that's what it seems to be." She leaned back in her chair, getting comfortable. If felt strange being sat there like an experimentation tool – she silently sympathized with the rats' scientists would use for their projects.

Sue looked back to the computer, "Why don't we see the things you can do?" She suggested, glancing over to Reed for approval. "Maybe we can figure out if you have anymore?"

June shrugged, okay with the idea – she was intrigued as to whether she may have a few more powers that she hadn't yet explored. After a moments hesitation, she held out her hand towards the glass of water on the computer table – right next to Reed. And, slowly but surely, a small water worm grew from the glass – it seemed to gain more water as it rose, an interesting note to add to the clipboard.

Over the course of the hour she made the water steam, move to her will, freeze it and turn the substance to a jello-like substance. The last one had been a pleasant surprise; she loved jelly! Now she could make some whenever she wanted without having to leave it in the fridge overnight.

"And this water barrier that protected you and Johnny on the bridge," Reed began, looking very interested as to how his sister's power was able to extend. "Did it feel any different from the things you just did?"

June hummed, meaning 'Yes', "My nose started to bleed and it felt like some of my energy was gone," She started to explain, they needed to know these things – she couldn't keep it to herself anymore, "Though, I'm thinking that the more I use it, the stronger I'll get. It was a pretty powerful barrier too..."

...

Johnny stepped into the heat chamber - this was the only place where Reed, June and Sue would be able to assess how hot Johnny can get when he turns himself into a fireball.

The three of them sat just outside the chamber, next to the computer that kept track of the heat and other signs that were needed for Johnny's tests, "Okay, Johnny. Go!" Sue spoke through the microphone as Reed and June began writing things down.

Johnny looked down at himself for a moment before initiating his power – quickly turning his entire body into fire – the clothes he had been wearing before completely melted off his body and turned into nothing but ash.

June glanced over to the monitor beside her; it measured the temperature of Johnny's body after he ignited himself, "He's heating up from his core." She blinked, wondering if what she was seeing was completely happening – but it was. This is impossible! With the temperatures Johnny was quickly rising to, any normal person would have been vanquished into ash by now – bones and all!

Sue confirmed that her brother was still completely fine, it's like he wasn't even on fire at all, "His vitals are completely normal still."

It didn't take long for Johnny to do something completely stupid and that meant he went way hotter than he was supposed to. When the idiot didn't seem to listen, June initiated the foaming extension to the chamber – completely filling it with a type of foam a fireman would use on the hottest and worst of fires.

If Johnny had kept going and risen his temperature past the boundaries - it would have resulted in lighting Earth's atmosphere up like a match!

...

Ben sat on a chair, much like June had done during her testing session – but this time, he had plugs attached to many parts of his body. This would enable the three nerds to assess what's going on ... inside his body.

June, Reed and Sue prepared everything – basically setting up a physical to begin with. "If we're going to identify the source of the mutation," Reed started, going over his best friend's body schematic on the screen in front of him, "We need to isolate your recombinant DNA." He moved the x-ray machine over to Ben's heart. "So we can activate positional genomes."

Ben blinked, completely lost, "Huh?" He never could understand Reed's garble and he's been the guy's best friend since High School.

Sue looked up while June snickered silently towards her brother's lack of simple human communication, "We have to do a physical in order to see what got zapped." Sue explained as simple as possible – even a small child like Johnny would be able to understand that sentence.

"Oh!" His eyes widened in understanding, getting what they were going to do now, "Why didn't you just say so?" He turned to glare at Reed.

June rolled her eyes with a small smile, "Technically he did Ben, but in the only way Sue and I can understand. There's a mechanism in his head that likes to speak complicated rather than the way normal people talk." She typed something into the computer, getting it ready while ignoring the small playful glare her brother she could feel being sent behind her back.

June's eyebrows raised when she got a look at the x-ray results, "Uh, Reed, Sue." She muttered with importance, just loud enough for the two to hear. Reed and Sue came to her side quickly, wanting to see the results to the first set of tests. They gave her a questioning look but she just pointed to the screen, telling them exactly why she called them over.

The X-Ray of Ben's heart showed that it was completely made of rock, no human tissue or organs were left in the body. Unless you could identify which rocky object the organ belonged too within Ben's newly-formed figure.

"His internal organs are completely solid." Reed blinked with both worry and amazement. He looked to Ben at the same time as the girls did.

Ben saw their faces looking to him in union – that can't be good. "How bad is it?" He wondered, the notion of actually being concerned for his health lacing into his voice, "You know, I used to smoke." Hoping his diagnosis was too bad.

June shook her head at him sadly, looking back to the screen, not really know how to proceed right now. "Smoking has nothing to do with it Ben," She assured him, but how can she really do that when every part of his body was completely solidified into rock? Its not really much of a step up from the normal health issues honestly.

All June knew right now was that she and Reed really needed to find a way to change Ben back – as for how that was going to happen?

She wasn't entirely sure of that yet.

Note: Follow, Fav and Review!