Part 3

It wasn’t long before Cristiano began to make a name for himself at his new club.

Although the pair tried to see as much of each other as possible, conflicting schedules meant that  Clarissa and Cristiano were lucky if they got to see each other once every few months.

With each meeting Clarissa began to notice a change in interaction between them, not only because everywhere they went a crowd of photographers followed but he didn’t seem interested in what she was doing like he used to.

The little moments they used to have were gone and suddenly Clarissa came to the realisation that this new Cristiano was a complete stranger to her and the idea scared her how he was moving on without her.

~~~

Making her way through the automatic glass doors, her heels scraping along the marble floor as she proceed to her office greeting her colleagues as she went.

‘Morning Zulfiya’ Clarissa beamed at her receptionist handing her a coffee and brown bag filled with a blueberry muffin from Starbucks.

‘Morning Clarissa’ Zulfiya replied. ‘You have no meetings scheduled for this morning’ she continued as she followed her boss into her office.

She stood by the door awaiting instructions, she fiddled with her hands as she watched Clarissa hang her coat and handbag up on the stand and sit behind her desk in a swift manner.

However Clarissa’s perky mood evaporated as her eyes scanned the front page of the newspaper spread neatly across her desk.

‘Real Madrid’s record-breaking £80m bid for Man. Utd. Star Cristiano Ronaldo accepted’ the headline read.

She lifted the paper turning it to face Zulfiya; ‘When does he leave?’ she asked

‘Um, he’s already left’ was the feeble response.

‘Not even a goodbye’ Clarissa scoffed slamming the paper down causing Zulfiya to jump.

‘Thank you Zulfiya, that is all’

With that the receptionist closed the door leaving Clarissa alone with her thoughts’

~~~

Two years later:

Leaning over her desk, engrossed in her work, a solid knock on the door echoed through the office.

‘Come in’ she replied.

‘This came for you now, it’s from a C. Ronaldo’ Zulfiya informed her a rye smile curling her lips.

‘Are you serious?’ Clarissa gawked.

‘Yeah, why? Are you surprised?’ Zulfiya asked confused.

‘A little, I mean I don’t even know the guy right?

Zulfiya nodded handing the card and exiting.

Clarissa examined the envelope addressed to her, she took a deep breath trying to calm her nerves; forgetting about her friendship with Cristiano was the hardest thing she had ever had to do but absolutely necessary in order for her to focus on her career. Ever since he had moved from Manchester, the contact between them had died away; so why was he writing to her now?

She ripped the envelope, releasing the card inside and immediately she felt her stomach drop as she read:

‘You are invited to join in the celebration of the marriage of Mr. Cristiano Ronaldo Dos Santos Aveiro and Anselma Marianela Guerra…’

Clarissa couldn’t read any more, why was she beginning to feel sick? It’s not like she had feelings other than those of friendship for him.

Placing the invitation back inside its envelope, she opened the bottom drawer of her desk and threw it inside, attempting to lock it away.