Part 7

‘Ugh, I could think of ten million other things that I could be doing with me time right now instead of wasting it here’ Anselma scoffed as she and Cristiano stood hand in hand waiting for someone to open the big red door that was before them.

‘Come on An, it’s my mum’s birthday and it’s a tradition that I always spend it with her’ Cristiano defended ‘Besides there’s plenty of time to do the other things later’

‘Oh really?’ and with the Anselma took his head in her hands and pulled him close, planting a big forceful kiss on his lips.

She tightened her grip refusing to release him despite him trying to pull away.

‘You know, I would like to see my son’s face before you suck it all off’ a stern voice stated.

Cristiano finally pulled away and turned to see his mother standing with her arms folded and a disappointed look on her face.

‘Mama’ he stepped forward planting a kiss on her cheek ‘Happy Birthday’ and with that he handed her a silver gift bag which contained her rather expensive present.

‘You know I told you not to buy anything!’ she scolded playfully slapping his arm and pulling him into a warm embrace.

She turned her attention to Anselma who wore an expression on her face that cleary showed that she was not amused.  

‘Anselma’ his mother greeted politely.

‘Mrs. Ronaldo’ Anselma replied coldly as she entered the house.

She followed Cristiano and his mother who walked arm in arm down the hallway, through the kitchen and into the garden.

Tables upon tables were set with white table cloth, upon which lots of food lay. People were scattered around, some sitting, some standing and others dancing away, there was an air of festivity and celebration.

‘There he is!’ someone called ‘Superstar footballer!’

Cristiano waved his hand dismissively ‘No, no superstar here just Cristiano, the same one you’ve known all your life’

‘Except with lots more money!’ someone heckled causing the entire party to erupt with laughter.

‘But he treats his mama with the same love and respect as always’ his mother smiled, kissing his cheek and giving it a squeeze.

‘Come sit, let us eat’ his mother smiled.

She brought him through the sea of tables until they stopped at one where lots of his family sat.

‘Cristiano!’ they chorused.

 He hugged each of them one by one. ‘Where’s your overpriced, overly paid, fiancée?’ a cousin asked.

‘She’s right here’ Anselma’s voice snapped strutting towards the table like a woman on a mission.

‘Where did you go?’ Cristiano laughed.

‘I had to go to the bathroom…’

‘To powder your nose? Make  sure you look as plastic and fake as ever?’ the cousin finished to which Anselma glared at her.

‘I want a drink’ Cristiano interjected before Anselma could retaliate.

‘Get me one too’ Anselma demanded as she waited for him to pull a chair out for her to sit as always.

‘I’ll be right back’ he stated.

Weaving his way back to the house he stopped dead in his tracks as his eye fell upon a table full of young women, some of them neighbours, others he didn’t recognise but one stood out above the rest.