Part 5

She sat on the wall outside her apartment and swung her legs like she used to do as a child when she would wait for Cristiano to come from training so that they could play.

She let her mind wander to her first month in Madrid; things were going great at work, she had met some interesting people not only while at work but on weekends when she would walk the city exploring everything that it had to offer.

The loud engine roared through the air filling her ears immediately bringing her back to reality. She heard him before she could see him and finally turning the corner she saw the silver A6 approach and come to a stop right in front of her.

She sat in awe as he got out of the car, wearing black jeans, a white shirt and a Gucci jacket. His hair was slicked with gel into his signature style and he wore RayBan aviator sunglasses.

‘Please tell me that’s not what you’re wearing’ he scoffed as he made his way over to her.

‘What? Why?’ Clarissa replied offended looking down at her outfit; she wore grey jeans and her home Man Utd jersey underneath a white cardigan, on her feet she wore a pair of black Converse.

‘I’m taking you out for lunch to the hottest restaurant in town!’ he said incredulously.

‘Well maybe I don’t want to go to the hottest restaurant in town, why can’t we go for a walk instead and perhaps find a lovely café. You don’t have to show off for me.’

With that she hopped off the wall and began to walk down the street.

‘Clarissa, wait!’ he called behind her and it wasn’t long before he was right by her side. ‘Ok fine, lets do this your way’ he said letting out a sigh of defeat.

They walked together side by side down the deserted street in silence. Neither quite sure what to say.

‘That was a great performance you put on last night’ Clarissa finally broke the silence referring to the previous nights match where Cristiano had scored a hat-trick.

‘Yeah it was’ he answered a huge smile spreading onto his face. Immediately the smile vanished as he saw the look on Clarissa’s face.

‘I obviously couldn’t have done it without my team-mates’ he quickly added.

‘Exactly. You know it is called a football team’ she emphasised the last word her tone showing her annoyance at his arrogance.

‘So…’ he began ‘How’re you settling into life here in Madrid, it’s a wonderful city no?’ he attempted at small talk.

‘It is magnificent, there’s so much history, culture, and something new around every corner and the people have been very friendly and welcoming. Yeah, I’m settling in well, can’t say I miss the rain of Manchester’ she let out a giggle.

He took a  moment to examine her; her smile was always an attribute of her he loved, it was warm, genuine and so infectious he found himself smiling too.

They continued to walk making conversation about the others lives and careers until Cristiano came to a halt outside a tiny café.

‘What about this place? It seems quite nice’ he gestured.

He stood perusing the menu before realising that Clarissa hadn’t replied.

‘Clar? Did you hear me?’ turning around he noticed that she was not paying any attention to him. Instead she was looking across the street where a group of kids were playing football on the green grass of a secluded park.

‘Do you remember when that used to be us’ he said bringing her out of her trance.

‘Yeah’ she said reminiscing ‘Those were the good old days’ she sighed.