Part 6

‘God you look so sexy, if I was there, those clothes wouldn’t be on you a second longer’ Anselma cooed through the screen of his iPad. She was away on a photo shoot  and every evening would Skype to catch up on what the other was up to, which in Anselma’s case although she never told him was to make sure Cristiano wasn’t spending time with Clarissa.

‘Ha, I have no trouble in believing that’ he smirked fixing his bow tie and placing a flyaway hair back to its original neat position.

He took a step back to admire his reflection in the mirror before turning to face the iPad and Anselma. ‘Perfect!’ she exclaimed clapping her hands together in approval.

‘I have to go now babe’ Cristiano told her.

‘Ok, have fun! Well as much fun as you can have without me’ she winked leaning in and kissing the screen. With that she hung up leaving him staring at the screen.

He hung his head and sighed, this evening was going to be torture, it was one of those press dinners held by the club in order to attract investors and sponsors. This meant he would have to spend the evening faking a smile, talking to people he had no interest in and pretending that he was having the best time of his life. How was he going to survive it on his own?

Walking over to the edge of the bed he picked up his phone and dialled. He waited as the phone rang and rang, just as he was about to hang up a voice answered at the other end.

‘Hello? Cristiano?’ she asked, he voice breathless.

‘Clarissa. Um is this a bad time?’ he asked.

‘What? Oh no, my phone was upstairs and I had to run to pick up, wow I am more unfit than I had thought!’ she laughed.

‘Are you busy?’ he asked.

‘Right now? Well I was just watching some tv, nothing too exciting. Wanna come over?’

‘Actually, I was ringing to ask if you would like to come with me to this dinner that the club is holding tonight.’

‘Won’t you have Anselma as company? I don’t think she’d appreciate me as a third wheel’

‘She’s away on a photo shoot in Rome and well I could use the moral support’

‘Oh’ Clarissa replied and then silence fell.

He heard her taking a deep breath before she spoke again ‘Honestly Cristiano, I’m happy to stay at home tonight, it’s been a very busy week and I could really use the chill out time. I’m sorry.’

He sighed

‘But…’ she began ‘we can meet up sometime this week, it’s been a while since we saw each other, I was beginning to think that you were avoiding me as if I had done something wrong’

‘You could never do anything wrong’ he said so seriously.

‘Please try and enjoy your night’ Clarissa replied comforted at his words.

‘For you I will. Night’ with that he hung up. If he could he would have hopped in his car and gone straight over to Clarissa’s house and…

At that thought he ran out of the room, down the stairs, collecting his car keys and out into his car he went.

There wasn’t much traffic and he reached her front door in no time.

He climbed the steps and pressed the bell.

Sub-consciously he brought his hands to his hair ‘fixing’ it, a little habit he did when he was nervous.

The hall light switched on and he saw her familiar figure approaching through the stained glass windows.