chapter 14

I was confused. I think Isaac or Scott brought him up once or twice. "Um you're the..... alpha? Right?" I asked.

He glared at me. "Obviously. Now do you want to keep talking, or get out of here?" he asked, frustrated.

I just stared at him. Why did we need to leave? "Why would I want to go anywhere with you? I'm not leaving this school. And I really need to finish my project. " I said.

He opened his mouth to say something, but a loud growl in the distance silenced him. Suddenly, he put his cold hand over my mouth and pulled me out the window. I tried to resist, but it was no use. He was too strong. He put me into the passenger seat of his car, and began to drive away. I just sat there, looking at him.

"Put your seatbelt on." He said.

"Why?" I asked. He just glared at me. "No, seriously? I mean, you don't even know me. Why does it matter to you if you I'm safe or not."

He sighed. "I made him a promise."

"Who?" I asked.

"Isaac. Now are you going to put your seatbelt on, or what?" He asked, "because if anything happens to this car, I'd be fine, but you'd probably die or something. And I'd have a very angry and upset werewolf on my hands." He said. I rolled my eyes as I put my seatbelt on.

"Where are you taking me?"

"Someplace safe." He said.

"And what exactly are we running from?" I asked.

"Gillyan and her pack. She's trying to get back at us for killing her stupid pet." He said. His words brought back memories that I didn't want to think of . It was a little hard to think of Cody, especially after what happened.

After a silent moment, I finally said something. "He was my ex-boyfriend." I said, softly.

"Yeah, well, nobody knew that when they killed him."

"Wouldn't have made a difference in the first place." I replied. He didn't say anything.

Eventually, we pulled up to a house in the middle of the preserve. It looked as if it was burned down.

"What are we doing here?" I asked.

"This is a safe place. Plus, your boyfriend is here." He replied. He opened his door to get out of the car, and froze.

"What's going on?"

"They were here." He replied. His eyes flashed bright red when he looked at me.

"Well, how do you even know? Like, seriously? You just got out of the car."

He looked at me like I just asked the stupidest question ever. "I can smell them." He replied. That's just weird.

I got out of the car. "Are we gonna go inside?" I asked.

"Are you going to stop asking so many questions?" He asked, annoyed.

I ignored his response, and walked towards the house. Well, what was left of it. The door, which had scratches and claw marks, was ajar. I slowly pushed it open. I saw Scott, Isaac, Jackson, and some other guy on the floor. There was a lot of blood, but their injuries didn't seem to be that bad. I assumed they would heal soon.

I rushed over to Isaac's side. "Hey, are you alright?" I asked, crouching down next to him. He rolled over to reveal a large scratch on his abdomen.

He opened his mouth to speak, but coughed up blood instead. "I'll take that as a no." I said.

"I'll be alright. I'm just glad you're okay." He said.

"I should probably be saying that to you."

--------------------------------

"So what do these alphas even want?" Stiles asked, as we were sitting in the living room.

"I really don't know. It doesn't make any sense." Scott said, frusterated.

"You know what else doesn't make sense?" Isaac asked, "Why didn't they kill us earlier? After  they kicked the living crap out of us, Gillyan just looked and us and left." 

"She didn't say anything?" I asked. 

Scott thought for a moment. "I think she said something about 'getting what she wants'. Whatever that means."

"Maybe what she wants isn't really a 'what' but more like a 'who'." Stiles said.

"Stiles, what are you trying to say?" Isaac asked.

"I'm saying that maybe she wants a person to replace Cody." He said. 

"You might be right." Scott said, "She obviously needed him for something. I think that this whole thing is about something bigger than just killing Derek." 

When he said that, something inside my brain clicked. If Cody were to kill Derek, he would be an alpha. And whatever she needed him for, it wouldn't work if he was an omega or beta. When I told the guys this, they agreed with me. 

"But the real question here, is what did she need him for, and why did it have to be Cody?" Stiles said. 

 Isaac sighed, running his fingers through his hair. "There's something here that we're missing," he said. I could tell he was really stressed out about this whole situation. Then again, everyone was. But more than anything, I was worried about him. After tonight, it really hit me that I could lose him any moment. 

I shook my head to clear my thoughts. "Hey, um I'm pretty tired, so I'm just gonna head to bed." I said. I walked up the stairs, and entered my room. After brushing my teeth, and getting ready for bed, I walked out of the bathroom, and saw Isaac sitting on my bed. I took a seat next to him.

"Are you alright?" He asked, concerned. 

I sighed. "I've been better, I guess." I replied. 

He brushed my hair away from my face with his fingers. "Emily, I'm so sorry for everything that happened tonight." He said, looking down. 

I put my hand on his cheek. "Hey it's not your fault. What happened, happened."

"That doesn't change how guilty I feel. If anything ever happened to you I- I don't think I'll ever forgive myself." He said. 

"Isaac, I'm going to be fine, alright?" I said. He nodded in response, and gave me a soft kiss on the lips. 

"I'll see you tomorrow." He said, before giving me a kiss, and leaving. 

After he left, I plopped down on my bed and groaned. Today was scary, and I couldn't even imagine what the rest of the year in this town would be like. And as much as I didn't want to admit it to myself, I do wish Isaac was human. I still accept him the way he is, but I can't help but think how much easier everything would be. 

Isaac's POV

I walked into Derek's loft, and threw my bloody jacket on the couch. His new place wasn't much, but it was sure as hell better than his old house. I turned the light on, and saw Derek seated in a chair. 

"What are you doing?" I asked.

He just stared at me, with a serious expression. "We need to have a talk."

"About what? Because I'm tired, and if you don't mind, I'd like to sleep." I said. 

He stood up, his eyes still on me. "Actually, it's about your girlfriend, Emily." He said.