Chapter 5

I sat in the red armchair in Elizabeth's room as I usually do at this hour every Monday afternoon. That's the only thing that's positive with Mondays, meeting Elizabeth.

” Amber, can I ask you something?”

” Sure, anything.” I said , but actually started to feel a bit nervous. Elizabeth had that serious look on her face that meant that we were going to talk about something very important.

” Have you reported your rape to the police?” she asked.

I wasn't really prepared for that. I could feel how my mouth formed a perfect ”o”. But I knew I had to tell her the truth. I trusted her.

” Yes. I went to the police station a few days after it happened. I was so shocked and scared that I didn't dare to do it earlier. I guess I thought that he'd come back after me if I told anyone about it. But anyway, I told them what had happened and they asked me to try to explain what the man looked like, but I just couldn't remember. I was so scared when it all happened that everything just went blank and I didn't look at his face that much. I just kept crying.” I trailed off, feeling the goosebumps on my arms that I always got as soon as I thought of that night. That night that ruined my entire life.

” I told them everything I could, and they said that they would see what happenes. Since I didn't have a better description of the man, it's impossible for the police to know who it is. And they don't have any suspects yet.” I said, letting out a deep sigh. It all seemed hopeless. Maybe the man will be free forever because I wasn't smart enough to analyze his face. But in that situation, I couldn't have acted differently.

The worst part of it all is that it feels like the man is still out there. Looking for me. I don't know why I'm feeling like that, but I don't feel safe knowing that he's still free. I don't even feel safe in my own apartment anymore. I hardly dare to look under my bed because I'm afraid to find him threre. Everytime I open my fron door to leave the flat I hold my breath and start to shake, because I can't help but wonder if he's on the other side of the door. What if he has information about me, where I live, where I go to school. All those kinds of thoughts haunts me, and they are even stroner when I'm about to fall asleep.

Elizabeth told me she'd be right back, she was just going to the bathroom, so I sat alone there in her office in the red armchair. My gaze started to dance around in her room, exploring new stuff. The carpet was new, it was now a dark, purple one instead of the red one that used to be there, there seemed to be more books in the bookshelf that stood in the corner of the room and there was a new flower in the pot in the window. My gaze finally stopped dancing and landed on a photo Elizabeth had on her desk. I frowned, couldn't remember seeing that photo before. It was a boy, a very cute one I may add, with dark curls and beautiful green eyes in the picture. He sat in the middle of a sofa with to kids on either side of him. It looked like some sort of family picture, without the parents. They were smiling and looking very cute together.

” That's my children.” Elizabeth said making me jump slightly. When did she get back?

” Oh, I'm sorry. I didn't mean to stare at your personal photos.” I said, blushing slightly.

” Amber don't apologize! It's okay.” Elizabeth said and took her usual seat behind her desk.

” That boy in the middle is Harry, my oldest son. Next to him are my other two kids, the twins Sophie and Simon.” She continued with a proud smile. That woman really loved her children. You could see it all in that smile of hers. I wish my mother could have felt the same way about me as Elizabeth did for her children.

” They're adorable.” I said and smiled as well. I don't know what it was but something about this boy Harry made me feel strange. In some very strange and unusal way, I couldn't take my eyes off him.

Please Vote and Comment ;)