Prologue

And I froze where I stood.

I knew that things at last had come to an end. Everything was going to be alright temporarily. No, not everything. Not my broken heart and-

My heart was never broken because my father called me his useless and good for nothing son. My heart was not broken because my parents loved my elder brother much more than me and never failed to remind me how pathetic I was. My heart was not broken when the girl whom I loved more than everything, betrayed me- no. Nothing of these were able to break my heart.

The fact that broke my heart that among these fake smiles and false sympathies of this goddamn world, the only person who wanted the best for me, was lying in front of me.

He was lying in a pool of his own dark crimson coloured blood. His chest was slightly heaving up and down, eyes half closed, his plump rosey busted lips slightly parted. He was holding the side of his stomach where he was shot. But he could not stop the flowing of the blood. Every now and then, he was wincing in pain, but never let out even a small cry of pain.

I could not hold myself any longer. My body was shaking ferociously. I slumped down beside him, sighing soundly. I stroked my fingers through his thick, black hair which was sticky because of the blood on it.

He understood my touch and looked at me. Then he smiled. It was very rare of him to smile, but it never occurred this important, this necessary to me.

"Ro-Rohan?" His voice was cracked, making his voice more reserve.

"Ye-yes?"

"Everything's gonna be a-alright now." He smiled brightly. Life sparkled in his eyes and almost for a second, I thought that life was going to last.

"You sure?"

"Ab-absolutely."

The tears that were threatening to come out for a long time, I could not hold them back anymore. I did not sob, tears were only making their way down on my cheeks. I wanted to believe him so much. He was my rock, depending on whom I learnt to stand up. And now that rock was slipping.

And I could not do anything about it.

He coughed and blood gushed out of his mouth. This blood was darker, more intense, almost making it black.

Suddenly, he brought his hands near his neck. He pulled out the chain he used to wear with the locket featuring half of a heart. He used to call it "The Missing Piece of My Heart".

He grabbed my hand, put the chain on it and then went back to hold the wound beside his stomach. My heart started beating faster. He would never give this to someone unless he was going to-

"Rohan?" He called. He sounded weak, exasperated, out of breath and mostly, exhausted.

"Yah, mate?" I tried to bold up. I did not want to cry anymore. If I felt weak then everything would be gone.

And by everything, I meant him.

"Ke-keep it. If you ev-ever find the per-son with the oth-other piece, then m-match it with it." With every word, he was trying his best to breath, but his breaths were getting weaker and shorter.

"No! You aren't going anywhere! You promised me that you and I will find that person together! You can't break the promise!"

By the time I finished, my voice was just a faint whisper. He chuckled and raised his left hand to brush my cheek. I leaned into his touch and closed my eyes to remember every stroke of his soft hand. I knew blood was smearing onto my face, but I could care less.

His hand felt cold. He was never cold before. He was always warm, even warmer than the summer.

Then suddenly, he gripped my hand tightly. My eyes fluttered open and I looked at him. I did not feel panicked, only my heart beat quickened. He took a long deep breath. His chest heaved up.

"Rohan?" I looked at him, unable to produce any sound.

"I love you." And with a smile of satisfaction on his rosey plump lips, he breathed out and closed his eyes. His tight grip on my hand loosened and his hand fall on the floor. An expression of happiness and peace was dancing all over his face.

Everything around me seemed to have stopped. The air seemed to have stopped flowing, the time, the song of the birds-- everything. I did not know when the police arrived and took those men-- kidnappers away, when the ambulance came, my father, my family came-- I knew nothing. I felt extremely calm. I never felt that calm before.

I leaned down on him, keeping my head on his chest and wiggling closer him, like we were cuddling. I focused on my heart beat and closed my eyes, letting those silent tears fall from my eyes.

And then I realized that I never loved anyone actually. Not my mother, father, elder brother, that girl- no one. From the first time, I was actually in love with him. The only person who used to understand me, used to hold my hand when I got afraid, cried with me, laughed with me. The person, who was lying under me now, in an infinite peaceful slumber. It was always him and it will be always him.

My best friend Abhimanyu Singh. My Abhi!

_____________________________________

So, it was the prologue. Confusing, aye?? Its 11:37 pm here, I should study now, but I'm sleepy. Couldn't sleep well for days because of exam. I will update Stay By My Side as soon as possible. Please read, vote, comment and follow.

Till then, happy life!

_#Spidey, over and out!;-)