Betrayal

Welcome to the new chapter!
Howdy! Enjoy!
____________________________________
(Rohan's POV)

The doctor held Abhi's wrist in his hand and checked his pulse while staring at his wristwatch. My brother and I were standing beside each other, both of us indifferent about each other's presence. My father sat on Abhi's bed, much to my dislike and my mother was sitting in a chair opposite of the doctor. The only thing that was common in everyone was the deep frown marring our faces.

After the doctor was done checking Abhi's pulse, he turned to me.

"Are you sure you saw his finger move?" He asked. I nodded boldly, not giving him a single chance to oppose. He then nodded and gave me a smile.

"If what you saw is true then good news for you. He's recovering. And he's doing it fast." He said. My heart thumped hard at that. I could not believe my ears.

"Wh-what? A-are you sure?" I stuttered out of worry and nervousness. My hands were sweating and I could feel my whole body becoming stiff. I badly wanted to punch something until I could truely process what the doctor was saying.

"Yes. Tell me one thing, do you touch him?" He asked. I nodded, a bit uncomfortable.

"That's good. The natural interaction helps the patient wake up faster. In fact, not only now, I think he has been feeling your touches for long. He has been understanding that you or the others are touching him for quite some time. That's a really good sign. The lad's recovering real fast. I have to admit, he has some guts. After having this kind of brain damage, most of the people loose their will to fight. But he's been fighting hard and winning too. Does he have a girlfriend?" The doctor asked and as much as the word "girlfriend" beside Abhi cringed me, I kept myself in leash and shook my head.

"No, he doesn't." I said. The doctor hummed.

"His quick recovery made me think that he must have a girlfriend who urges him to fight." He said. My brother sighed.

"Abhi never had a girlfriend. All his life he was dedicated to his parents and my brother. You are right. He has someone to urge him constantly to wake up, he has someone for whom he wants to wake up. But that's not his girlfriend. That's his best friend-- my brother." He said and looked at me. I gave him a little inclination of head. My brother's sudden support towards me surprised me but I did not think he did it for me. He solely did it for Abhi. As much as my family hated me, they absolutely adored Abhi for being so perfect.

"Keep his medicines going. I'm increasing the dose a little bit. And keep your eyes on him. He can wake up any moment now." He said and stood up. My parents looked at each other and smiled before they showed the doctor outside the mansion. My brother muttered a quite "I'm happy" to me and patted my back and went out leaving me and Abhi alone in the room.

I slowly went to Abhi and sat on the floor, my eyes on the same level as his. Tears of happiness rolled down my eyes as I grinned broadly. My heart was still beating loudly and my hands and feet were still cold. Ultimately, my dream was going to come true. At last, I would get my best friend back, for my whole life. Oh, how much I imagined that how the day would be when Abhi would suddenly wake up from coma. That day would be the most perfect day of my life and the happiest. I did not resist my tears from falling any longer. I was happy and I wanted to cry my heart out. I wanted Abhi to know that I could not wait any longer.

I grabbed Abhi's hand before madly placing kisses on his fingers, knuckle and wrist. Then I kissed his forhead and kept my head on his chest.

"I'm so happy, Abhi. Truly, I can't express how happy I am. You're gonna wake up soon. We'll be talking again, we'll go to college together, hang out in the Friendship Café, you'll sing me songs, we'll go the museum and yes, you know Aquaman is gonna release soon. We'll go together, you and me, just like before." I whispered the last part before heaving my head up and keeping my chin on his chest before I looked at him.