Oh you should've told me

I don't really know where to start. I'm a lucky girl, my boyfriend tells me I am all the time. It's an 8 month relationship, and no matter how bad it feels sometimes, 8 months is awesome. He always tells me how lucky I am to have someone like him. But I don't agree with that often. I have the most amazing friend in the world, and no matter where he goes in his life, we are always close. I just mess up a lot, like now, when I know my feelings aren't really where they are meant to lie. Or is it my feelings making the right choice and my logic messing with it?

*******************************************************************

I was 18 when I moved out of home, if that was what it was called. To me it was hell, with the constant arguments, lies and threats. I just wanted to get out. And I was so lucky I could.

My best friend from nursery was an amazing boy. Well he's a man now. He has ragged brown hair, and a lip ring. Tattoos everywhere, and a bad reputation, but the best bit was his eyes. The ice blue eyes that pierce into you instantly.

Ben. Benjamin Paul Bruce. My best friend for years and years. We went to school together in Dubai, and nursery together here, where we were both born, in Brittain, and our families both moved back here together. We're never seen apart. He was there when the family situation hit a critical level. On my 18th birthday he took me out to the beach and we were talking about just everything. Just life. That's when he asked me a question I wasn't expecting.

“Melissa, I... well, we've always been great friends. And you don't want to be at home. You know, you can live at mine if you want. Would you like that?” His slick voice spoke, it gave me chills as it ran through my body. Something about his voice always did that to me.

“Are you serious?! I'd love that!” I said, I wanted to hug him so much. He nodded. He meant it.

“You can stay at mine tonight, get your stuff tomorrow?” he said, and of course I agreed. Mum had always said she couldn't wait to see the tail end of me. Well now would be her chance.

We sat on the docks watching the sun set, and the waves roll in and out, hand in hand. It had been a thing we had done all through our friendship. Anyone we went out with would have to put up with it. That was a point. Dominic. How was he going to put up with it? Obvious really, he was going to treat me like he always did.

We sat there for maybe 20 minutes more, talking about moving out; my mind fighting the pulsing thoughts of Dominic. It felt bad, but then how many times had he slept with girls behind my back? I think maybe just an innocent night at Ben's might sort my brain out. I needed to get away.

The night drew on and eventually we decided that it was about time to head to his. Slowly, we pulled ourselves across the roads, hand in hand, never once letting go. I loved his house, I had been there on many days when home was just too much, but never have I stayed there. I would love it. After a long walk, we gingerly walked up the steep stairs, when he began to fumble in his pocket. He produced a key and unlocked the door in one swift movement.

Ben reached forward with one of his amazing arms and turned on the light. The ominous dark was pushed away by the light as it coward into the corners of the room, holding the door for me, he ushered me in. I knew the place like the back of my hand and, with him close behind, we walked straight to the lounge. He sat me down and offered me water. I agreed, and he tottered to the kitchen. For a guy in a heavy metal band, he was always down to earth. Well when he wasn't high or drunk. Its no wonder he got a bad reputation for that bit.

I checked my phone: 4 missed calls. I knew instantly they'd be from Dominic. My gut tied in knots, but I knew I had to reply soon.

I dialled his number.

1 ring. Maybe this wasn't a great idea?

2 rings. Maybe he doesn't want to speak to me?

3 rings. Maybe he's out shagging some blonde?

4 rings. Maybe he's- the phone was picked up.

“Where the fuck were you!” He snapped.

“I was just with a friend.”

“Would this friend be a dude?”

“Well, yes.”

“You're a fucking whore! That's why you weren't replying you were just fucking him weren't you. WEREN'T YOU!”

“I wasn't, but you're a fine one to talk.” Okay, stooped low, but I was shaking with anger, these arguments happened all the time, he was always picking fights.

“You don't know just how lucky you are to have me. I put up with all your shit!”

“Yes, I remember thinking 'Oh I'm so lucky' last night when you kicked the shit out of me.” Ben darted back into the room, clearly hearing this argument. I had forgotten he was there. But looking at him I could see the rage building, I had never seen him so angry before.

"I had to teach you a god damn lesson, how else are you going to learn how the fuck you're meant to behave."

"Well how are you going to learn that isn't the way to teach someone."

There were shouts coming from my phone but I didn't have time to listen to them. The phone was taken from my hand.

“Listen to me Dominic. Yes I am stood next to your girlfriend. Yes I just heard everything that was said. Don't you even dare think about coming around tomorrow and finishing your teaching you gave her yesterday. You lay a hand on her and you two are history. She is my best friend, I will not let her be beaten up by some self-righteous arsehole.”

They argued over the phone, though Ben's voice was icy cold. Then there was a silence. Ben looked over to me. Had it all ended? Ben moved slowly towards me and handed the phone back, the call was still going.

“Urm what did you want?” I asked, actually confused now.

“I want you to walk away from Ben, walk away from that bastard and come here, you need to learn Melissa, you need to learn.”

“No, Dominic. You need to learn! I am NOT leaving here and going there while you give me a lesson with a knee to the ribs. You need to lean that that I will not put up with it. We're over. I cannot take this. You don't deserve me. You never did!” And with that I hung up and threw my phone at the sofa. That was 8 months of history down the drain, but fuck it, I wasn't even upset. Ben strode to me and embraced me in his muscular arms.

We stood there in the lounge, with his arms holding me close, for minutes, and not once did a single tear leave my eye. I was happy. Finally there was a huge weight lifted off of my shoulders. I was free.

After a while I stood back, Ben placed his hands on my waist (he really is a gentleman behind his mask you know) and I flinched. His puzzled eyes scanned me, so I lifted up my pierce the veil tank top and showed him the black and purple markings lining my ribs. There was no need to explain, he knew they were from Dominic. Ben simply took my hand and held it tight, his piercing blue eyes shining as tears began to form, tears he was unable to fight back.

“He will never do that again.” he said then pulled me in again for a hug, where this time I was soothing him.