Chapter 22 - Talia

Ch.22 - Talia

Talia kept busy in the kitchen preparing vegetables for the cookout while Charlie tended to chores outside. It had been quite awhile since they'd had their last get--together and seeing friends would be a welcome change of pace. Life had gotten so busy over the past few months. Between working on the rental property and dedicating time to Charlie's new business, not to mention her work at the shelter and helping Enid out a few days a week, there had been little time left to stop and smell the roses. A little fun and relaxation was exactly what the doctor ordered, especially since she'd been feeling so worn out as of late.

I'm taking on too much. I need to slow down. Talia glanced over at Carter in the baby bouncer next to her, swiveling around happily, entertaining herself. Carter won't be a baby forever. If we're not careful one day we'll blink and she'll be all grown up. Then we'll be left wondering where all the time went. We need to take advantage of every moment with her before it's too late. . .

Talia turned to the window, peering outside to watch Charlie clean out the grill. Winston was lying at his feet, his tail occasionally thumping against the wooden planks of the deck.

She smiled as she watched him work, the muscles in his chest moving underneath his t-shirt, the sun reflecting off his hair enunciating golden highlights. It was amazing how just looking at him still caused her heart to race. How the butterflies fluttered in her stomach as if she were some love-struck teenager. And he was all hers, the most wonderful man she had ever known.

Besides her father. What she would give to have her parents here with her now. To be able to enjoy the day with them by her side. If only she could see them again. If only. . .

Talia returned her attention to the onion on the counter, slicing it into several thin strips. Before she could stop them, her thoughts slipped back to her childhood. . .to the day that had forever changed her life. Years later, the senseless murder of her parents still hurt. A part of her would always hurt. Losing them the way she had. . . So much death in her life, so much turmoil.

Without warning, tears pressed against the backs of her eyes. Damn onions! Talia slammed the knife down and leaned against the counter, gripping the edge with both hands. Oh, who was she kidding? It wasn't the onions causing her to cry. . .it was her past. It was the unfair twists her life always managed to take. Why was she so unlucky?

Stop it! Stop feeling sorry for yourself. The past is the past. You're not there anymore. She bent her head forward and choked back a sob. Concentrate on the family you have in front of you!

Turning away from the onion, Talia stooped down in front of Carter who was happily playing in her seat. Surprise covered her angelic features before her tiny face lit up into a grin. "I love you, baby girl," Talia whispered fiercely. She kissed her chubby cheek then pressed her forehead to hers. Carter buried her hands in long, brown hair and giggled as the silky strands wrapped around her fingers. Talia smiled. "What have you got there?" Carefully, she started unwinding her hair, making certain nothing was left in her grasp.

"Carter!"

Talia turned her gaze toward the door. Tallulah charged through the front room, a bundle of unbridled energy, slowing down only to throw herself in front of the baby seat. Carter shrieked with joy as the little girl bounced up and down on her knees, making silly faces.

Standing up, Talia ruffled her fingers through the four-year-old's strawberry-blonde waves. "Lulu, it's good to see you. Carter's been waiting for you to get here."

Lulu looked up with wide emerald eyes. "Really? She can talk now?"

Talia laughed. "No, not quite. But when I told her you were coming to our cookout she smiled. I think she missed you."