Chapter 46 - Jackson

Ch.46 - Jackson

Jackson and Talia fell in step side by side as they made their way toward the water out back. Green ripples kicked up along the river, and Jackson took in a deep breath as a warm breeze swirled around them. In the distance, a crocodile ducked its head under water just as a Blue Herron called out overhead.

"Wait a second. I need this," Talia said suddenly. She took a few steps back and reached for an object propped against the house. "Just in case."

"A harpoon?" Jackson's eyebrows arched in surprise and he fought to keep his voice light. "What do you need that for? Are you planning to fish?"

Jackson followed her gaze to the water and they both watched as a dark figure maneuvered through the reeds.

"The crocodiles out here aren't shy," Talia explained with a wary expression. "Whenever I take the boat out on my own I always make sure the harpoon's within reach."

"Ah, yes." They continued walking toward the marsh, the air boat getting closer with every step. "I seem to recall a story your mother-in-law told at the cookout. Something about a run-in with a crocodile when you moved here."

He watched Talia cringe at the memory.

"When I first came to town, Charlie showed me the rental house at Enid's request. That's actually how we met." She flashed him a quick smile. "I wandered onto the dock even though he'd warned me about the loose boards and I fell through. It was really stupid of me," she said, shaking her head at the memory. "Charlie pulled me to safety just in time. Now I make sure I'm prepared whenever I come out here on my own."

Jackson studied her closely. "So, Charlie saved your life?"

"He did. In more ways than one." Talia pressed her lips together tightly then changed the subject. "You're going to get some great pictures today. I can feel it."

Jackson watched her for another long moment before turning away. "I hope so. My editor'll throw a fit if I don't meet that deadline."

Talia released a soft chuckle. "Well, we don't want to get you in trouble, do we?"

As they approached the dock, Jackson felt a growing anticipation with each step. The time had finally come for him to right all the wrongs. To avenge the death of his son who'd died so needlessly. Was Steven watching him now? Was he cheering him on as he carried out his plan...their plan? Jackson didn't believe in Heaven or Hell, but that didn't mean there wasn't something, right? Some sort of middle ground where people watched from the other side? A few weeks ago if you'd asked him if he believed in such a thing the answer would have been no. He'd just always assumed that when you died, you died. There was nothing left. But the longer he stayed inside that tiny rental, the stronger the presence became. He thought he was imaging it at first, but with each passing day he knew it was there, watching him from the corner of the bedroom, encouraging him to move forward. Every time he set foot in that room he was acutely aware of it staring. Could it be Steven watching over him, making sure he redeemed the Austin name?

Jackson looked over his shoulder at the house, barely visible through the mass of Cyprus trees. I'm going to fix this, Steven. I'm going to take care of the woman who had you killed once and for all. I promise you, son. She's about to take her last breath. And I'll make certain she knows I'm doing this for you.

"Did you forget something?" Talia asked, interrupting his thoughts.

He'd almost forgotten she was there.

"No, I'm good. Just enjoying the scenery." He turned back to her. "You've really got it good out here, you know that? You must love the seclusion. Or does it make you nervous? I suppose I could see how it might."