Chapter 48 - Talia

Ch.48 - Talia

Pain rolled over her in waves, the feeling so intense she thought she might pass out. But as soon as her body hit the water, Talia's survival instincts kicked into high gear. She needed to fight back, not only for herself, but for the new life growing inside of her. From underneath the cloudy current, Talia watched Conrad peer into the water after her.

Steven's father... Slowly, she played the words over in her head, trying to process them. She'd been so wrong. Wrong about everything. Her throat began to tighten, not because she didn't believe what he'd said, but because she finally understood. He wasn't in Florida on assignment, he was there to kill her. He wanted her dead to avenge Steven's death. She was responsible for inviting this madman into their lives.

But she couldn't dwell on that now. She needed to save herself and her baby and there was no time to waste.

Fighting through the cramps that were spreading through her midsection, Talia pushed herself alongside the bottom boat until Conrad disappeared from sight.

With trembling hands, Talia grasped the edge and carefully lifted herself up. Across from her, Conrad bent down on his hands and knees, meticulously watching the dark, slow-moving water. Her eyes scanned the boat, searching for the harpoon. If she could just make her way to it, maybe she'd have a chance. Slowly she inched herself closer to the spear, the afternoon sun glaring off its sharp tip.

She reached for the handle, her fingers stretching for the metal grip. Still out of reach. Keeping one eye on Conrad, Talia hoisted herself closer until the spear was in her grasp. Quietly, she slid the harpoon along the floor of the boat until she had it in both hands.

Her mind drifted to the crocodiles nearby. Once they figured out she was in the water, they'd be on the move. What should she do? maybe she could lift herself onto the boat and attack Conrad from behind? But if she didn't knock him out with the first shot, the tables could turn quickly, and that would be dangerous. What if he grabbed the weapon from her? Then she'd be left with no protection at all. But she didn't see any other way out. If she stayed in the water much longer, she'd be the crocodile's next meal.

Talia waded alongside the boat until she reached the small ladder clinging to the side. Holding the harpoon in one hand, Talia struggled to heave herself higher up the rungs.

Without warning, Conrad stood up from his hands and knees and brushed himself off. Talia ducked lower so she was hidden from his view, her legs continuously moving underneath the water to help keep her afloat. She watched as he stepped away from the edge, back still turned toward her. Suddenly, he swiveled around and their eyes locked. A slow smile spread across his face.

"There you are. I must say Sarah, you work well under pressure."

Conrad crossed the boat until he stood closer to her. "It's a shame things had to end this way." He looked over his shoulder at the water below then turned back to her. "It won't be long before you and your baby become a crocodile snack. I bet they're pretty hungry right about now."

"Please, Conrad." Talia fought to keep her voice strong. "Don't do this. Please don't let my baby die."

"Please don't let your baby die?" Conrad cocked his head to the side, pretending to contemplate her request. "You mean, how you let my baby die? At least your child never saw the light of day. Mine had a life, a job, a reason to live. I bet you didn't even think about that before you let that asshole Charlie kill him."

Talia's eyes darted across the water around her. "I could never understand why Steven hated me," she reflected in a shaky voice. "I did love him, in the beginning, but he hurt me. And he continued to hurt me, even after he promised to stop. He made a lot of promises. Conrad, Steven was trying to kill me. Charlie saved my life."