Chapter 42 - Charlie

Ch.42 - Charlie

A ray of sunlight peeked in through the window, hitting Charlie square in the eye. He rolled over on the tiny hospital couch and stared at the still form lying in the bed. With all the beeping machines and visiting nurses, he wasn't sure how his mother could sleep through all the noise. Of course, he knew she wasn't really asleep. In fact, all those tubes attached to her were keeping her alive.

Charlie swung his legs over the side of the couch and leaned back, rubbing his eyes. They'd started burning two days before and hadn't stopped. He knew he was sleep deprived but every time he closed his eyes, sleep evaded him. He'd catch five or ten minutes here and there, but nothing substantial. His gaze darted to the clock on the wall. It was nearly 11:00 am. Talia would be there shortly with Carter and he really needed to grab a cup of coffee.

He still wasn't sure about bringing the baby to the hospital, but Talia had been on him about it for days. The loud noises and strange smells...what if they scared her? Worse yet, what if the sight of her grandmother did? Wouldn't it frighten her to see the woman she was so close to with a tube shoved down her throat forcing air into her lungs because she was too weak to inhale on her own?

His mother had always been a stubborn woman, but she'd never been lazy. Charlie knew if Enid Wilson was capable of filling her lungs with oxygen, she'd do it. She wouldn't allow some stupid piece of medical equipment do all the work for her.

Charlie stood up and stretched his aching muscles. Sleeping on that cramped couch, with the outdated fabric and unidentifiable scent, was wreaking havoc on his body. He walked over to the chair at the bedside and sat down. His mother's skin looked pale and fragile. Every day she looked a little less like the woman he'd known all his life. The doctors assured him the tube in her nose delivered plenty of nutrition, but he could make out blue veins on her forehead that hadn't been there before, and her cheeks appeared hollow from obvious weight loss.

"I'm still here, Mom. I haven't gone anywhere." Charlie took her hand and gave it a squeeze waiting in vain for a squeeze in return. It didn't come. "Talia's stopping by soon. She's bringing Carter with her. She's been wanting to, but I haven't allowed it. I just wasn't sure what to do. I wasn't sure what would be best. But I know she misses you." He watched for any change in her expression, indicating she'd heard what he said. There was nothing.

"I miss you, too. I miss hearing your laugh and listening to you scold me for not getting a haircut." Charlie pushed a wave of brown hair from his forehead. "I keep telling you Talia likes it this way. She says it's sexy." He smiled and looked down at her hand in his. Slowly he traced the outline of her fingers. Somehow even they looked frail.

"You know, Talia's been working at The Ivy House. She's almost got it all painted so it's ready for you when you get out of here. Betsy's been helping her with it and they're doing a great job. Now, we just need you to get well enough to go home." He watched her chest slowly rise and fall. "You'd like that, wouldn't you? Do you want to go home? Back to your bed? Back to your garden?"

Charlie inhaled sharply and brought her hand to his lips. Her skin felt cool as he planted a kiss. "Mr. Easterwood stopped by the other day to see you. I hope you don't mind, but I let him in. He looked really upset. Talia told me you two were planning a date." Charlie leaned forward in his seat. "You know, Mom, I think it's really great you met someone you like. William's a good man and he cares about you very much. You should have seen him when he was here. I'm not sure if it's my place to say this, but he really seemed like a man in love. Are you in love with him, Mom? Because if you are, that's okay with me. I mean, if you're worried about it. I'll support you, no matter what. I just want you to be happy. I want you to breath on your own and open your eyes. And to be honest," he said, his voice catching in his throat. "I really need a hug from my mom."

A hand on his shoulder startled him and he looked up. "Talia." Charlie quickly wiped away a tear. "I didn't hear you come in."

She gave him a sad smile. "I'm sorry, I hate to interrupt."

Charlie shook his head and stood up. "No, it's okay. We've been waiting for you." He reached out his arms and took Carter, a twinge of pain shooting down his arm. The pain medicine was starting to wear off. Immediately Carter grabbed a fistful of hair at the nape of his neck. Turning toward his mother, he whispered in his daughter's ear. "Do you want to say hello to Grandma, baby girl? She's right over here."

Carter turned as if she understood what he was saying, her big blue eyes taking everything in.

"Grandma's sleeping right now, but the doctor's say we should still talk to her. They said she might be able to hear us even if she looks like she can't." He kissed Carter's chubby cheek and untangled his hair from her grasp, then sat down on the side of the bed, positioning the baby closer to his mother. "Do you want to say hi? Let Grandma know you're here?"

His daughter looked him in the eye and smiled, her gaze finding his mother once more. Carter sat up straighter in his lap and released an excited coo. Talia came closer and leaned in to give Enid a kiss. Very gently, she brushed the hair from her face.

"You look good today, Enid. Even better than yesterday."

Charlie noticed Talia's eyes fill with tears and he knew she wasn't being truthful.

"I need you to wake up, Enid. I have some questions only you can answer. Last night the storm took down several branches from that big tree in your front yard and one of the limbs fell on your azalea bush. I know you've had that shrub for years and I'm not sure what you want me to do. Should I trim it back or just let it go? I know you hate it when your plants look crooked, but I'm afraid I'll take too much off. You need to wake up and tell or I'll have to take matters into my own hands. You remember what happened the last time I did that, don't you? It wasn't pretty. . ."

Charlie reached for Talia's hand and she turned to him with a crooked smile.

"I'm trying to scare her," Talia explained. "She doesn't let me anywhere near the hedge clippers."

"I know. I remember the incident that lead to your banning." His smile grew a fraction wider. "If she knows what's good for her she'll wake up right now."

"Charlie?"  The doctor popped her head in the door. "Are you sticking around?"

Charlie stood up from the bed. "I'll be here. Why?"

"I'm going to try and wean your mother off the ventilator again, but I have a couple of patients to see first."

Charlie felt his heart begin to race. "Really? Do you think it's time? I mean, what if she still can't breathe on her own?"

"Then we'll put her back on." The doctor gave him an encouraging smile and pushed her glasses up higher on her nose. "Her latest test results came back very promising. Don't worry, if there's any problems I'll be right here."

"Do I have time to run and get a cup of coffee?"

"Go get your coffee." The doctor smiled again then disappeared down the hall.

Talia shot him a look. "Should I still go?" she asked. Worry contorted her face.

Charlie nodded. "Yes, you promised Jackson you'd help him. We'll be fine here."

She didn't look convinced. "Call me as soon as you know what's going on."

"I will. I promise." Charlie gave her a quick kiss. "Now go help Jackson get his pictures and get back here so you can be with me."

Talia nodded. She leaned over Enid and kissed her forehead again. "You can do this, Enid. I know you can. And remember, I love you."

Talia gave Charlie one more kiss, then Carter, and headed out the door.

"Be careful," he called after her, but she was already gone.

* * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * 

Eek! Be careful, Talia! Hello and thank you for reading Secrets and Lies! If you liked this chapter, please leave a vote/comment! I hope to have the next update ready this weekend and you won't want to miss it!

Want to sign up for giveaways and a free copy of Strawberry Wine once it's released? Head on over to my profile page and sign up for my email list. I'd love your support! :)